Thread: I need a King Charter

Default I need a King Charter

Looking for a reputable Alaskan guide to take 2 for a full day king trip on the Keani in July. I prefer Saturday or Sunday, but the day of the week is really no big deal. Not sure about the virtues of drifting or power boat, because I am a bank fisherman so I guess I have no opinion on that. Maybe you could enlighten me. Also, we're not looking to break the state record, but that would be a plus! Just want to treat my son to some good fishing action for his birthday and put a fish or two in the freezer.

Any takers? I'll contact you tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Guides aren't allowed to take clients on Sunday's. I have always fished the Kenai in my own boat or a friends, so I have no experience with any of the guides, what I do know about the guides is there are a lot of them to choose from

Default King Guide

Contact Bob Ball of Piscatorial Pursuits. He is on this Forum often. He will set you up.

Default Bob Ball

My son-in-law is Bob Ball of Piscatorial Pursuits and him or my daughter can probably set you up. If your here in July you might want to consider a Kasilof River trip with him. Sitting in a drift boat compared to 2 or 3 hundred power boats running around you on the Kenai is really no comparison. My wife has caught 50 lb. kings out of his boat. We often go with him if he has a open seat and it is fun. I think he has guided on the Kasilof for over 15 years. If the fish are in the river he will catch them. Any way, I am sure they can help.

Default kenai guide

Try Keith with Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service for the Kenai. I take my son with me and he is great with kids. I also do a hardcore trip with my buddies with him and he's been great on those trips as well. Good luck and send me a PM if you have other questions about my experiences with him.

Default back bouncing

Not sure what kind of fishing Bob Ball does, but I am a fan of back bouncing. It's the only king fishing method from a boat where you get to feel the strike and get to set the hook. Far more fun and active than drifting or watching your rod sit in a rod holder backtrolling.

I suggest http://fishwheat.com/
    Mike Wheat
    (907) 398-4158
    Email: fishwheat@hotmail.com

Or call Melissa at Hi-Lo Charters (907) 283 9691 and ask to reserve the guides Albert or Stan.

Take a look at the fenton bros...or Tim hiner, i don't think you could go wrong with either one....ps. there locals....

I try not to name names....but I'd take a pass on Bob Ball personally. I agree with Fenton bros., try mark Glassmaker as well, but he's likely booked tight for July by now.

Quote Originally Posted by MNmon View Post
    I try not to name names....but I'd take a pass on Bob Ball personally. I agree with Fenton bros., try mark Glassmaker as well, but he's likely booked tight for July by now.
    Bob Ball is a Kasilof master and does not guide on the Kenai... There are many top guides on the Kenai... Fenton Bros are definitly in the top ten and are tow of the classiest acts out there... Boo Kandas, McClures, Joe Haines, Harry Gaines, Adam Reid, to name just a few of ther great guy's out there...

I'd second Mike Wheat. I've fished with him several times and he never fails to anything and everything humanly possible to put you on fish. Even a few things in-humanly possible. Good guy, knows the Kenai and the Kasilof very well and ust flat out gets it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    I'd second Mike Wheat. I've fished with him several times and he never fails to anything and everything humanly possible to put you on fish. Even a few things in-humanly possible. Good guy, knows the Kenai and the Kasilof very well and ust flat out gets it done.
    Mike Wheat is a figgin machine.... Great guide, great guy.