Thread: Bird Creek Trail

Smile Bird Creek Trail

Hi all, I am new posting here , We are pretty new riders and have only done Eklutna and Knik (beach only) and are planning on doing the Bird Creek trail sometime this weekend, and wanted to get any thoughts or tips on the trail. Thanks in advance!
    Michelle

Default bird creek

The Bird Creek trail is a great trail for newcomers. Just follow the main trail up the Bird Creek Valley. I do not reccomend going up the Penquin Creek Fork as it becomes very narrow and overgrown with trees to the point of not being able to turn around. More info can be found on Alaska ATV Club website:

http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=116.0

Thanks for the info Rich!

I haven't been in there yet but this time last year the first few trips in were a little rough. There was a micro burst that had occured during the winter and there were fallen tree's everywhere so we could only go so far. There is also an area probably a couple miles in that is usually covered by an avalanche but you can generally go around that. Lots of side trails and the country back there is beautiful. I think we went in a total of 6-7 miles to where you can cross Bird Creek and there's a trail on the other side that is used during moose season, my guess is that it is probably very muddy or maybe still covered with snow. Lots of bears back in there too.

This is just a common sense thing but I'll put it out there anyway- wear gloves. That trail gets narrow in spots and there is brush and devils club and it rubs on you in some places as you pass through it. We only rode the first few miles last year because one of our riding companions had a freak accident when she crawled over a fallen log and it cracked and the outside end swung up and busted both her lower leg bones. We do plan to go back later this year, though, to finish the ride.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I really enjoy riding Bird Creek. Being so close to town and it is never overcrowded, at least when I ride out there. Spoke to Tom Crockett out there several weeks ago. He is the sheriff in charge out there and he was able to give me some of the history about the area. I haven't been able to ride in several weeks and am getting very anxious to go!! Take delivery on a new Grizzly on Friday Had to get momma her own ride. Dad is up visiting and gets to break him in at the clean up on Saturday and planning on doing a trip on Sunday. Was planning on heading across the glenn but may end up at Bird!!
    EricL

Smile Great ride

We had a wonderful ride out there , will def. go back again!!!

How far back did you get and is there much snow out there?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    How far back did you get and is there much snow out there?
    We made it back to the "big rock" pasture. No snow at all and it doesn't look like there was any snow slide this year. Good ride. Momma likes her new ride!!
    EricL

Isn't that on the other side of the creek? I think I know where that is and if it's the same spot, we couldn't ge our atv's in there and had to walk the trail to it. No avalanche this year?

Default How Long

About how long does this ride take? I am looking for a short ride to do with my son Friday morning. Should have about 4 or 5 hours to kill.

I have been wanting to ride this trail for a while as everyone seems to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    About how long does this ride take? I am looking for a short ride to do with my son Friday morning. Should have about 4 or 5 hours to kill.

I have been wanting to ride this trail for a while as everyone seems to enjoy it.
    Bird Creek should fit the bill nicely. It's a simple in-and-out trail, only a few miles long. There is somewhat of a network of side trails about a mile from the parking lot.