Thread: Fairbanks or Kodiak?

Default Fairbanks or Kodiak?

Let me preface this by saying that both Kodiak and Fairbanks look like wonderful places. What are the relative advantages and disadvantages to living in either one?

I have job prospects in both and I would like to get some input from people that have been to both. Thanks for your time.

Fairbanks, good hunting, not as good fishing, really cold winters and hot summers, bigger town although not that big. Joke is that if you are the third car at a red light, you are in a Fairbanks traffic jam. University of Fairbanks is there.

Kodiak, good hunting for deer, reindeer and great permit oppurtunities, usually great fishing, better summer and winter weather although it rains more than Fairbanks. Small town

Personally, having been to both I would chose Kodiak

Another vote for Kodiak, but it would be good if you aren't adverse to wet weather As a friend who lives in anchortown and runs a charter out of Kodiak once said, "I just got back from a two week trip and it only rained twice, once for 9 days, the second time for 5 days"

I'd love to live somewhere that I could get out on the saltwater in the evenings, and Kodiak is about the absolute best location for that. You can get into good fishing very close to town.

That is a pretty good extreme of spreads. Fairbanks would be kinda living in the midwest as far as being a flat area far from the coast, but with arctic weather, i.e. -50 and sometimes colder in the winter and short days.

Kodiak is more like living in a coastal rainforest. They typically don't get much snow, but can get some serious winds in the winter.

How are the schools (grades 1 - 12)?

In what regard? Fairbanks has a number of schools run by the North Star Borough, 3 high schools (maybe 4). http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/

Kodiak http://www.kodiak.org/community/schools.html I know their high school has a great wrestling program.

Default Fairbanks Schools Updated

There are actually 4 High schools in Fairbanks
    Hutchison,
    Monroe (private catholic),
    West Valley,
    Lathrop).

There are also 2 out in North Pole (30 minutes away)
    - North Pole H.S.
    - Eielson (AirForce Base)

Of them all Hutchison is the best. It is a sort of private/technical/small school. Great teacher to student ratio and very high standard of excellence. They are a fully public school but you have to enroll to go there and they only take 100 kids per grade. They have a brand new building and great facilities.

In what regard?
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant, how are the academics in general? Thanks for the info.