Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Help! Talkeetna Area Fishing

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Help! Talkeetna Area Fishing

    Hi, I am going to be working in the Talkeetna area this summer, mid-June to mid-September. I need someone to get me started on the basics.

    1. The King run is in the end of June, right? By the time they get to Talkeetna, are the fish still good to eat?

    2. What other runs make it past Talkeetna? What about trout? What is some of the standard tackle used? I plan on using a casting rod.

    3. Anyone know about the Susitna River north of Talkeetna specifically?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    As long as you get time to fish you are in a great area!! For salmon you'll need to either drive or get a boat.
    Clear Creek is great!! You can get a transport (mayhews?) down from Talkeetna, and someone soon can give you who it is and how much it costs. I've fished YZ lakes there near Talkeetna (I think that's the name of the lakes) on a float tube for trout and had one of the best days of my life!
    Kings will be good in June/july. Earlier is best for good fish. later would be good for numbers of fish. Silvers start Late July/early Aug.

    The Big Su itself is unfishable for the most part. Need a boat to get anywhere unless you go south.
    South is crowded but GOOD road accessible streams. Montana, Willow, Little Su, and others.

    Gear questions will get a million answers.......and they'd all be right. Search old threads if you want to save time. This site has great info in the archives. Kings kind of need their own rod/real. in the neighborhood of line about 30lb-100lb depending on who you ask. Spinning rods/reels are great, and what I use. I've caught tons of fish on cheap gear and more on better stuff. Mainly it's about fishing what you got, and putting time in. What is your price range for gear? That will help folks steer you right!!

    You are going to love it up here. Be prepared to become addicted to Alaska.

  3. #3

    Thumbs up You'll love it!

    can't go wrong with catching a ride from the campground up to the clear creek confluence. Lots of fish come through there, but timing is everything. Talk to people and find out what's going on. I fished up there last year during the last few days of June and first few days of July. Everybody at least hooked some fish and quite a few decent 25-50 pounders were landed. I brought home one a little over 40 pounds. Lots of fun. We used corkies of various colors. 3 corkies on a 2 hook rig with enough weight to tick tick tick along the bottom drifted right along the seam of clear and murkey water worked excellent for us. I'm going back this year too!

    As far as rods and reels. Take your pick. Level wind or spinning on a heavy action rod with strong line will work just fine. I won't promote any specific brands, because every guy has his favorite and I don't want to start a disagreement concerning the virtues of the various brands of gear available.

    Be prepared to get hung up a lot, because Talketna River has a lot of snags in it depending on where you fish. That said, you should tie up a crap load of leaders ahead of time, so you can spend more time fishing and less time rigging back up when you have to break off.

    It is a beautiful place and you will enjoy it whether you catch fish or not. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Member NickofTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in Alaska
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Last year, didn't somebody throw a tantrum on this forum about giving away the "secret" of Clear Creek?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default The secret spot

    Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Last year, didn't somebody throw a tantrum on this forum about giving away the "secret" of Clear Creek?

    Must be the one of the worst kept secrets.

  6. #6

    Default Clear Creek

    Clear Creek is a secret? There is a huge freaking sign in front of Mahays offering a Clear Creek drop off (50$). Also if you read the fishing report in the Anchorage paper and the AFG website it mentions CC. As far as fishing CC it's fast water. I have horrid hook up to landing rates there. Lotta snags and if the fish get in the main river...hold on. I'm heading back this year armed with an 8'6 foot muskie rod, 80lb Power Pro and 50lb P-Line for my leader. No messing around this year....
    If that does not work I am taking off one the downriggers from my boat and casting out some 150Lb cable =).

    Also CC does get runs of all five salmon (the reds have been pretty weak though). As far as trout if you go farther upstream you will find them. Also Fish Creek is right there and you can find trout there. Read the regs though....

  7. #7

    Wink

    For reds, go to Larson Creek, just past Clear Creek on the right.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member NickofTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in Alaska
    Posts
    130

    Default

    [QUOTE=SheHateMe;491637]Clear Creek is a secret? QUOTE]

    Yah, that's what I thought too....

  9. #9
    Member JimJimmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Clear Creek is a secret? There is a huge freaking sign in front of Mahays offering a Clear Creek drop off (50$). Also if you read the fishing report in the Anchorage paper and the AFG website it mentions CC. As far as fishing CC it's fast water. I have horrid hook up to landing rates there. Lotta snags and if the fish get in the main river...hold on. I'm heading back this year armed with an 8'6 foot muskie rod, 80lb Power Pro and 50lb P-Line for my leader. No messing around this year....
    If that does not work I am taking off one the downriggers from my boat and casting out some 150Lb cable =).

    Also CC does get runs of all five salmon (the reds have been pretty weak though). As far as trout if you go farther upstream you will find them. Also Fish Creek is right there and you can find trout there. Read the regs though....
    Does Fish Creek feed into the old Clear Creek? A few years ago, we hiked wayyyy upstream on old Clear Creek and saw another creek feeding into it. So we hiked wayyyy up that one, and came a a very deep pool that had hundreds of silvers (and a few spawned out sockeyes) in it. Most of the fish had turned blush already, but still had a blast hauling them in! I was just curious if THAT was 'Fish Creek we were on-???

  10. #10

    Default

    Fish Creek comes in just upstream of the main CC channel. If the water is high it runs through both channels, when low only Fish Creek runs out of the upper confluence. If you want to go to Fish Creek just walk up stream (of the Talkeetna) and when you hit the other confluence just head up stream. Fish Creek comes in on the right hand side about....1/2 mile up stream. It's obvious.

    Here this should make it easy

    62.22.28.12 N

    150.00.22.02 W

    That's where Fish Creek enters Clear Creek
    Last edited by SheHateMe; 05-07-2009 at 13:39. Reason: More Info Added

  11. #11
    Member JimJimmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Fish Creek comes in just upstream of the main CC channel. If the water is high it runs through both channels, when low only Fish Creek runs out of the upper confluence. If you want to go to Fish Creek just walk up stream (of the Talkeetna) and when you hit the other confluence just head up stream. Fish Creek comes in on the right hand side about....1/2 mile up stream. It's obvious.

    Here this should make it easy

    62.22.28.12 N

    150.00.22.02 W

    That's where Fish Creek enters Clear Creek
    Yep, that was it apprently.... A bit of a hike, but totally worth it!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •