Thread: Valdez black bear hunting??

Default Valdez black bear hunting??

To all

My friend from Fairbanks has invited me to go black bear hunting by boat out of Valdez. His fishing boat is 30 feet long with kitchen/sleeping quarters for 3 and comes with a zodiac for shore landings. We are schedule to hunt from 23-30 May. We were plannning on sleeping on the boat to allow us more time for hunting and to allow us access to less visited areas.

Unfortunately, he is not a black bear hunter and I live in North Carolina. I have successfully been on 2 black bear hunts in British Columbia where we did hunt out of a boat. I have a couple of questions.

What time of the day should we be concentrating on hunting for bear rather than sightseeing, fishing, or shrimping?

Is spring early or late in Prince William Sound?

What direction would you recommend heading out of Valdez? I was thinking that by heading South or East, there would have less hunting pressure.

Thanks in advance!

Default Hunting times

First light, low tide, last two hours before dark, and anytime inbetween. That would be the best bet, oh catch some sleep during the day.

Terry

Early am late pm worked best for us last year around that time.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Moring and evening seem to be the most productive yet they are out and about all day long. There is only one direction you can head out of Valdez but plenty of bays and ports to look in. Generally speaking the further you get from valdez the fewer people there are but compared to other ports in Alaska there is very little pressure.

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the trip!

Smile bears

There is multi questions here.
    1) I will be down there on 21-25 fishing.
    2) Bear hunting is good in the morning, but the best time is late evening about 1-2 hours before dark.
    3) This is what I have learned from talking to a lot of people that work at the fish and game and in bear conservations. Before bears go to sleep they chew on some of their hair, to plug them up. When they awake in the spring they like to eat grass to blow out the hair ball. They will come right down to the coast and eat the sea grass. They will look like dark cows grazing.
    4) The best way to hunt is to take the big boat back in one of the coves (lot of people use jacks bay, but in a boat of that size you can get out to one of the other islands) as far as it will go then get in the zodiac. Stay in the boat in the middle of the cove, and go slow spotting from the boat. Once you spot one figure out what way the wind is coming from and go down wind, about ½ to ¾ mile out of his site, and park the boat. (keep in mind that these bear have been hunted from boats for a long time and if they think that the boat is coming near them they will bolt) Remember you cannot shoot from the boat.
    5) The other was is to get off the boat and head up toward the top of the hills it long hard hike and can suck. You do not cover nearly as much ground and is more of a stumble on method.
    6) Best way to judge the bears is look at the ears small ears large bear, big ears small bear.
    7) I would do my site seeing, fishing from about 10-5. Shrimping dump the pots in the morning and check them every morning and evening.
    8) Your time is just a little late in the month but not too far off. Make sure you have good rain gear Valdez is the furthest north rain forest in the world. (You will love it is one of the best places I have ever seen)
    9) As far as what direction to head out of Valdez, there is only one way by boat lol. But if you have the range in your boat there has been a lot of reports towards Cordova.

Hope this helps…..

Default you'll be fine

I never hunted out of Valdez yet but may have to this year if the tunnel isnt operational.. I am planning to go the same days you have mentioned. I go the same weekend every spring and take a bear.. I have seen them all hours of the day, From first light up above the treeline to right on the beach.. during the day i have seen them in more secluded hard to reach spots with little to no traffic. My daughter shot a 6'10" one last year the same timeframe. I spotted it at 1:30 in the afternoon and she shot it at just past 2pm. Just about all the other bears weve taken have been in the last 3-4 hours of daylight.. probably between 7-11pm. I took a real nice one in 03 at 930 in the morning.. But both day time bears were taken with in 5 feet of each other 6 years apart.. No traffic, boats or sign of people..

Here is a pic of my daughter and her bear she took last spring, she was 10 y/o
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default We did get a bear!

I want to thank all of you for the information about bear hunting in Prince William Sound.

We flew from North Carolina on 23 May to start our self-guided hunt on 24 May. My hunting partner shot this bear on the evening of 26 May at 7:30 PM. He was out feeding on grass in a small cove near Long Bay. We rowed a small raft to short and did about a 600 yard stalk. He never knew we were there as the wind was in our favor.

This is an honest 5 1/2 foot boar who has a great coat and no rubbed areas.

This is my first attempt at posting a picture here so here goes!

We then spent the rest of the week shrimping as well as fishing. It was our first visit to Valdez and we certainly had a good time.

Thanks again!

Thumbs up Nice!

Congrats trout123! Having been raised there I can attest to the areas population of black bear. PWS rocks for a bear adventure from a boat. Shrimping, fishing and bear hunting, it doesn't get much better than that.

Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

havent really given it serious thought, but how big a boat you need to make it out to PWS? i only ask cause my buddy's got a like a 14 footer i think it is, with a 35hp jet engine, kinda didnt think itd be big or powerful enough. anybody got any thoughts on how rough it gets in the water in between?

sorry its an 18 footer, just found out

Default size of boat

Crewman

We used a diesel 28 foot aluminum boat and got pretty beat up coming around the southern end of Glacier Island as the northern side of was blocked by icebergs. I would not have wanted to be in anything smaller going out into the open sound.

If you stay in the Valdez Arm, something smaller would work well but the hunting pressure seems greater the closer you were to Valdez.

Default 17' boat took me to my bear

You just gotta go when the weather is good. Posted on the hunting pics 09'. Good luck !

Smile

Congrats on your successful hunt!