• Pink

1 0.83%
  • Dog

2 1.65%
  • All/any of the above!

7 5.79%

Thread: Vote for the best Salmon

Default Vote for the best Salmon

Prompted by another thread. Place your votes.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Talking Nothing Beats

The buttery taste of a Copper or Yukon King! Oh Yea....
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

The best for what? Flavor, fun, etc.

There was actually the almost exact same thread started last year.

The best for what? Flavor, fun, etc.
    Youpick.

Make your own criteria. It's just a lighthearted thread anyhow.

There was actually the almost exact same thread started last year.
    I guess we'll see how the answers vary for this year...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Easy enough...

I like Silvers. They are plentiful, powerful, tasty, and are accessible to most people on the road system.

For catching - silvers. For eating - reds.

Kings, and the bigger the better!!!

That list is pretty short there.
    Salmon belong to the genus Oncorhynchus which includes grayling, whitefish, trout and char.
    So my vote for favorite is Oncorhynchus mykiss, AKA Steelhead!!!!!!

don't forget the very different and incredibly tastey winter feeder king can't even compare it to a river run king they definately need to be seperate

well its simple which fish tastes the best King or red (its a toss up) which is more fun to catch (king of course) biggest King most prized as a game fish (king) so there is no argument king is the best of the salmon

The best to eat, to catch, to hang out and drink a beer with, to take long romantic walks on the beach with?

Default Nearly my reason for existence

...is the end of June and early July in Dillingham. You spend all year thinking about that first take....which is often followed by 10 to 15 more each day during the king run. Usually the freezer is full from some good net work the week before, so I can bonk a nice 25 incher for the grill each afternoon or evening. The weather is mild, the camping is excellent, lots of my friends and neighbors are upriver havin a good time so we get to visit, I get to outfish guides....again....it's just a pretty sweet time to be alive, and makes me realize why I like the bush so much.

A wisconsin farm kid that got to make his way to the greatland and now gets to sit in his own jetboat on one of the best king rivers in the world and yard em in all day long...while watching moose and brown bears...not too shabby. So, not only do I think they are the tastiest...they are just my favorite for a bunch of reasons, culinary and otherwise.

Default Fins

I voted along the line of fishing for which would be all of them. Of course if it has fins and is on my line it is the best!

Default mm

dont get me wrong, i like a good king flilet roasted on a cedar pallet with seasons and pinneapples spread amongst it. BUT i love reds. I like canned rreds, baked reds, smoked jerky.. and i DEFINETLY enjoy fishing for them alot more than a king. Granite i havent been to dillingham for the legendary 30 kings a day....But i have been to ninilchik, Kenai, Kasilof, Deshka, and ressurection bay for kings... plenty of times. Dont like how long you have to put in for just 1 king. reds are action all day babie! And their wild runs and acrobatics.... cant compare.
    Go Fish

Default favorite salmon

My favorite salmon to fish for is the Chum. I think they are pound for pound the best fight, decent size, and the most aggressive to strike and destroy a fly. I get all the reds I need for the year dipnetting, so when I fish for salmon, it is catch and release, all for fun.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    My favorite salmon to fish for is the Chum. I think they are pound for pound the best fight, decent size, and the most aggressive to strike and destroy a fly. I get all the reds I need for the year dipnetting, so when I fish for salmon, it is catch and release, all for fun.

Jake
    Good Point, Chums offer some of the hottest action when they are around. They smash wogs, and annihalate any pink flies you swing on em....and if they are fresh...they battle pretty well. A couple times a year I put my chum hat on and start swingin flies. Compared to red fishing, you actually get a strike...and they are bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    dont get me wrong, i like a good king flilet roasted on a cedar pallet with seasons and pinneapples spread amongst it. BUT i love reds. I like canned rreds, baked reds, smoked jerky.. and i DEFINETLY enjoy fishing for them alot more than a king. Granite i havent been to dillingham for the legendary 30 kings a day....But i have been to ninilchik, Kenai, Kasilof, Deshka, and ressurection bay for kings... plenty of times. Dont like how long you have to put in for just 1 king. reds are action all day babie! And their wild runs and acrobatics.... cant compare.

+1 I voted for reds. I think they tast as good as kings and I enjoy catching them more than kings. I have not caught 30+ kings in a day but I have for reds. And they give a heck of a fight.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/