Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License Question

Default License Question

I moved to Alaska last July before deploying to Iraq. The way I understand it I need to apply for my non-resident license by the end of the month. But, by the time hunting season starts I will have been in Alaska over a year and would be considered a resident. So would I use the resident or non-resident hunting regulations?

Default Call ADF&G

Quote Originally Posted by BigWag View Post
    I moved to Alaska last July before deploying to Iraq. The way I understand it I need to apply for my non-resident license by the end of the month. But, by the time hunting season starts I will have been in Alaska over a year and would be considered a resident. So would I use the resident or non-resident hunting regulations?
    Sounds like something that may come down to the "fine print". I would recommend contacting the Department of Fish and Game directly to get the answer. Make sure you document the name of the person you talk to just in case someone down the line comes up with a different interpretation (has happened too many times in the past). Either stop by the office off of C Street and Potter or call them.

Good luck.

I'll have to see if I can email them. I'm still in Iraq so that my only real option.

Default Contact information

Check out this page for contact information.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...g=info.contact

Scroll down and you should find e-mails for people there who should be able to help you.

Its probably wrong but this is the way I interpret the regs. They say you have to live in Alaska for 12 consecutive months. It doesn't say you have to be here for 365 days. So with that interpretation you should be a resident in June because that is your 12 consecutive month. I'm not sure how the military issue plays into it and I may be way off base. Best bet is to call the F&G.

Maybe Im completely off my horse here but didnt they take away the 12 month requirement for residency if you were in the military. If so theres no reason to apply for a non resident....

It is 365 days. My wife got cited years ago for buying a resident fishing lic. 2 DAYS early!!! A troop with too much time on his hands.
    As far as military service goes, you still must qualify as a resident, though there are special prices for non-res military.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Maybe Im completely off my horse here but didnt they take away the 12 month requirement for residency if you were in the military. If so theres no reason to apply for a non resident....
    Here it is quoted directly from the current hunting regs:

".... OR - a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceeding this application for a license; OR....."

You may be thinking of the deal that service members get (or got?) for a half-price non-resident hunting license.

As of Jan 1st 2009 military stationed in Alaska do not have to be here for 12 months to purchase a resident hunting/fishing license. It's in the regs on page 11, highlighted in yellow on the right side of the page.

CAUTION!!!!!
    The current /new regs are for the next regulatory year! That takes effect July 1.

Look at the front page of the regs and it says effective July 1st 2008 through June 30th 2009.

Ah, last years regs. Gotch ya.

Default Not the way I read it

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    As of Jan 1st 2009 military stationed in Alaska do not have to be here for 12 months to purchase a resident hunting/fishing license. It's in the regs on page 11, highlighted in yellow on the right side of the page.
    The way it reads to me is that they just get the special military non-resident license for the resident price. This is not the resident hunting/fishing license, just a non-resident (special military version) that costs the same as a resident one. I don't see any reference to this qualifying the holder for "resident" hunting privilages.

Again, I would recommend contacting ADF&G directly to get the details since they are the ones enforcing the issue if anything happens down the line.

So how is that license different from a resident hunting/fishing license, other than them needed to be guided for sheep, goat, and brown bear? They get their tags for free, same as us, and they pay resident prices for musk ox and brown bear tags.
    If I were him i'd just wait until June and then buy a resident hunting/fishing license and not worry about this other stuff.

Default Why

Why would you apply for any license if your in Iraq, Just wait until july and save alot of money. If you have to have one for permits, do like AKHunter45 said.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    So how is that license different from a resident hunting/fishing license, other than them needed to be guided for sheep, goat, and brown bear? They get their tags for free, same as us, and they pay resident prices for musk ox and brown bear tags.
    If I were him i'd just wait until June and then buy a resident hunting/fishing license and not worry about this other stuff.
    It would be very different because they would not be elegible for any of the resident-only hunts or resident-only permits that are out there. The only similarity it has to a resident license is the cost.

I agee, unless you need the hunting license before the 1-year mark for applying for non-resident permits, I would hold off until you can get the true resident license.

Default Military Lic Info

By what you have explained, you are wanting to apply for hunts in which you will be a resident at the time of the hunt. You need to have a hunting license in order to apply for the drawing. Since you are not a resident until July, you must buy a non resident hunting license in order to apply...but you may apply for all resident hunts with the understanding that you will be a resident when the hunt takes place.

Another note to keep in mind is that, although you can get a non-resident military rate that makes your license the same price as residents, tags do not get that same privilege. Some are discounted, but are still expensive. I had to get a black bear tag last year as a military non-res. It was half price but still expensive. King stamp is more too. I think it was around $40 compared to $10 for residents this year. Don't quote me on those King stamp prices.

Thats not true anymore, nonresident military can now get their tags at the same rate as residents and as we all know, most are free. Brown bear is $25 and musk ox is $500, all others are free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast