Thread: Where should i go claming?

Default Where should i go claming?

Whats the best time of year, what should i bring and how do i prepare them?

When it's nice out, a bucket and a shovel, in muddy tidal flats, I like chowder. Great trip to take the kids on too. China poot at low tide and clam gulch immediately come to mind.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Do a little research and you can learn what you asked plus a lot more.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default Clam gulch or Anchor Point

If you go to Clam Gulch head south { left } down the beach at least a couple miles or more. The entrance is where the nursery is so don't dig there. You will only get small ones. Before you dig put water in your bucket so the clams can spit out the sand and they are easier to clean.Its important to keep them cool at all times. If you don't have time to clean them right away keep them covered in cool salt water over night. The best time to dig is at slack tide or when the tide is coming in. Keep close to the water line for the clams are closer to the surface. The limit is 60 clams per licensed digger. You will need a sport fishing license. You must keep every clam dug even if its cracked. The salt eats the flesh if the shell is cracked.
    For Anchor Point area there is a spit out there that has clams the size of my hand! Just be careful for you can get stuck out there when the tide is coming in.
    As for cleaning, dip them in boiling water for 2 seconds then right away into very cold water. This makes it a LOT easier to shell and takes away a lot of the slime.
    To freeze put your desired amount into your freezer bag then add enough water to cover your cleaned clams. This will prevent freezer burn and you have a nice juice to add to your soups.
    All summer is a good time to dig. But best to wait for a - tide.
    Have fun and good luck
    If its tourist season.....Can we shoot em??
    Simple pleasures for simple minds

Thumbs up Answers

Try this site. Click the Q & A link. It should answer some questions. Also has some nice pictures of those monster clams from Anchor Point.
    Hope it helps.

http://alaskanrazorclams.homestead.com/razorclams.html
    If its tourist season.....Can we shoot em??
    Simple pleasures for simple minds

I've spent years on the Texas coast watching one group of recreational crabbers after another putting their live catch in a bucket or chest of water. When they returned home I wouldn't be surprised if most of their crabs died due to oxygen depletion of the water. I would know, for I have
    had it happen to me.

I figure that not changing the water would lead to the clams suffocating due to the same process?

(I later solved my problems when I learned that Blue Crabs could breathe air, so I kept mine in mesh laundry baskets, kept covered with a large wet towel and out of the sun.)