Thread: Balancing Oars

Default Balancing Oars

I have purchased a set of 8.5 Sawyer Pole Cats and upon setting my frame up for the first time I think that it would be very beneficial to balance my oars. I noticed that Cataract sells counterweights for their oars and I am trying to figure out some good ways to rig something up on mine. I am curious to see what you guys have come up with.

Default oars

how wide is your frame and how large are your tubes?? also what is the width of your blades??

I may not have read your post clear but, what I can say, try to keep 1/3 of your oar inside the frame and if you want counterbalance you should check to see if you could get Sawyer counterbalanced handles for polecats.

I recently ordered three Sawyer Pole Cats myself. Mine are 9' and I had them custom ordered into three piece models. They came with 2 lb internal counter balances. Not sure if this is how all are sold or not, but something for you to check into if you don't already know.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    how wide is your frame and how large are your tubes?? also what is the width of your blades??
    My frame is 58'' wide, tube diameter is 18" and I have the 6" x 30", aluminum cored, fiberglass filled, polypropylene synthetic blades.

Thanks,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I recently ordered three Sawyer Pole Cats myself. Mine are 9' and I had them custom ordered into three piece models. They came with 2 lb internal counter balances. Not sure if this is how all are sold or not, but something for you to check into if you don't already know.

Almost everywhere I looked online they do mention the internal counterbalances. I shot Sawyer an email and I am waiting for a response. I just went into the garage and picked one up and they do not feel balanced at all. I have absolutely no experience in rafting yet, my raft hasn't even seen the water yet . I am just trying to be prepared and learn as much as I can before I get out there.

Thanks again for all the help,
    Don

Default oars

Don- I would not worry at all about the counter balance. Sounds like you have the right size for your raft. Sawyer makes great oars. After 30 yr. in the business, i have only had one set and i took them apart and cut the re-bar weights off. Try what you have, if your not happy with the way they feel i can help you retro-fit with the weights. In my opinion they are just extra weight to deal with.
    Goo
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Don- I would not worry at all about the counter balance. Sounds like you have the right size for your raft. Sawyer makes great oars. After 30 yr. in the business, i have only had one set and i took them apart and cut the re-bar weights off. Try what you have, if your not happy with the way they feel i can help you retro-fit with the weights. In my opinion they are just extra weight to deal with.
    Goo
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    Thanks a lot Goo, I appreciate it.

i don't use counter balances and never have. kinda sounds like the result of overthinking, or ridiculously long oars. but.... to each his own. take care, abel6wt