Thread: Anyone see "out of the wild" on discovery

Default Anyone see "out of the wild" on discovery

Im sorry if this seems like a gripe, but Im just venting over this show. I know that they pick people with next to know outdoor knowledge, but at some point you would think that survival mode would kick in and they would become patient hunters. Also the show itself is set up weird. They would not allow them to shoot a beaver b/c of it being a fur bearing animal. Well, if they are to portray a survival situation and they have a gun then they should be allowed to shoot it. The contestants are expected to shoot a big game animal, but they probably don't have a hunting license. So I think that the whole thing is weird. The only reason I watch it now is so I can see Alaska(only 45 days until we're back in the greatland).

I am completely with you. I can only take that show in bits. It's easy to play arm chair commando with a full belly and the heater on, but some of the things these folks end up doing gets me rolling. One of the recent shows had a girl skinning a ground squirrel after they did a hack job of killing it. She actually took the time to hang it up like a big buck and slowly shave the skin away. It took her about 15 mins to skin it rather than seconds to just rip the skin off.

The show is more comedy than reality. My kids have been getting a kick out of it. They know more than the city folk do. The squirrel skinning was pretty funny.

The people in the show probably had fishing/hunting/trapping licenses bought for them to keep the production legal, so they had to obey game laws during filming. Other survival type shows have been fined for not having the proper paperwork during filming up here.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Dang...I haven't seen the show but then again I don't have Discovery
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default disovery chanel

I use to be a Discovery Chanel nut; However, after watching Bare Grails lousy show, the show about the bares that turned out being filmed at the AWLCC and the Myth Busters Alaska series, I noticed it is all bogus propaganda for people that have no idea about Alaska. Basically BS makes $$ so that is what they show

The show is filmed in Game Unit 13 north of me. Most big game is not legal to hunt in that area by non-residents. I sold a bunch of materials to the Discovery crews while they were filming this and the one producer said the folks involved had non-resident hunting licenses and that only small game was going to be available to them.

They would not allow them to shoot a beaver b/c of it being a fur bearing animal. Well, if they are to portray a survival situation and they have a gun then they should be allowed to shoot it.
    Since this is a T.V. show with helicopter back-up, Alaska laws governing taking game in an emergency do not apply to this situation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Talking That was funny...

Shooting birds from the hip with a 410....I swear they found the cast on the streets of LA.I think they should do it again,only use archery equiptment.Film it during August and September when game would be legal.They could fly the meat out to stay legal.

Default first time

I happened to see it for the first time...not to brite them ones, but some people dont know where milk comes from either.
    They also shot a bird that they called a ptarmigan and I thought it was clearly a spruce grouse...anyone else notice that? Or was I laughing to hard at the hip shots.

It was filmed August through the beginning of October. However, there is no big game hunting allowed in this area for non-residents. Caribou and moose are closed to non-residents. Sheep and grizzly require a guide. The only available animal would be a black bear.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There going to hunt bear on todays show with help the previews said
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Discovery program

I'd be inclined to cut these folks a fair amount of slack. None of these people have had any real hunting experience, they're from places like New Jersey, California, and other Outside locales, and the whole idea is as a "Fish out of water" experience. They had a mere three days for survival training, then they were let loose in the Interior. And no, they didn't know the difference between a grouse and a ptarmigan, and they looked kind of odd field dressing the ground squirrel, but hey, we all had to learn all of this stuff ourselves, and we all had more than three days to do it. Some of the narration is kind of laughable, (1,400 pound interior grizzlies? Really?), and overly dramatic, but it is supposed to be entertainment. The one experienced hunter was the first to go, the fishing guide took himself out after about two days, and the 24 year-old cop couldn't handle the experience either. The ones who are left are doing a pretty good job, given the circumstances, and the rest of the show ought to be interesting. And the little blond personal trainer's kind of cute, too!

Default out of the wild

I'm with ancguy.I still know alot of alaska guys that cannot cut up and take care of meat right.To be so critical is beyond me.Lighten up an enjoy.
    And if you guys know so much please tell us.We all want to learn.

Default agreed

I actually watched my second episode tonight...didnt see the entire one last time.
    I agree the people that are participating are actually doing okay, it is the narrators/producers that I find amusing, they should know what they are talking about. They have had time to put it all together, it is not a "live" show. Even my non-hunting spouse knew there was no legal requirement to be within 100 yards.

Discovery commonly constrews a few things, they are trying to dramatize everything and make it more entertaining. It just defeats me that the majority of them that volunteered didnt really read up or try to learn many of these skills prior to going on, or maybe Im just being to critical.

Personally I enjoyed the original show they did last season, where they dropped people in certian locations and let them survive. They did some education and it was better than this Survivor (without the money) version they've got going. To much drama and not enough "how to survive" info.

Just my two-bits

Default Out of the wild..

I'm pretty sure that it is very scripted as far as who gives up when. As you may have noticed the people with th emost experience just quit fairly early into the season. The fishing guide said he was aggrevated with his peers so he quit. Complete BS if ya ask me, but yes definitely entertaining

Yea, I like the one with the net and the guy is actually trying to toss the fish into the net rather than dip it in the river. Pretty funny stuff going on there

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    The show is more comedy than reality. My kids have been getting a kick out of it. They know more than the city folk do. The squirrel skinning was pretty funny.

The people in the show probably had fishing/hunting/trapping licenses bought for them to keep the production legal, so they had to obey game laws during filming. Other survival type shows have been fined for not having the proper paperwork during filming up here.
    Really, city folk? You're from Anchorage.

Haha.. Gosh Hoyt thats funny