Thread: Down the canyon '09'

Default Down the canyon '09'

Was wondering if anyone has floated the canyon of the kenai yet , and is it even doable? Also is skilak lake broke up yet? Was going to float down next weekend if i don't hear otherwise.

Thanks,
    fancyfishkiller:d

Default Should be

I don't know for sure, but I floated the Sportsman's to Jim's float on Sunday and it was perfect. The river's still a little low, but it's come-up quite a bit in the last two weeks and it should continue to rise. I would guess that if Kenai lake is broken when you come through, Skilak should be also. Most of the medium sized lakes in the Kenai Soldotna area are broken, or very close to it now.

With the season being closed, very few people are using the river, so you'll probably have it to yourself. We saw one other boat on Sunday and that was at Jim's.

Default scottsum

please tell me you werent fishing.
    Go Fish

Default Duh...

Yup, chunkin' bait too! Them big rainbows'll really swaller a gob o eggs when ther fixin' ta spawn!

Duh...You got me...

I will say it was one of the warmest days I've ever seen on the Kenai though. I spent the whole day shirtless in shorts and sandals! My wife and I and the two little ones had a blast just floating. That's the first time I've ever floated the Kenai without a fly rod in the boat.

Apparently, rafts aren't built just for fishing Who'd a thunk it?

Default oh yea?

I Bet it was a Hootnanny.
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I floated the Sportsman's to Jim's float on Sunday and it was perfect...
    Hey Scott,

I just noticed this... are you not sure if you floated the upper Kenai? And if not, was alcohol involved?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default O.K.

O.k. Mike, you got me. You're not another member of the society of under-employed English majors are you? I did have one beer with lunch, but I guess I should clarify; I am sure about the section of river I floated but I'm not sure about the condition of the canyon.

I don't think we're helping FANCYLANCE out much here, but a little healthy ribbing is always a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    O.k. Mike, you got me. You're not another member of the society of under-employed English majors are you? I did have one beer with lunch, but I guess I should clarify; I am sure about the section of river I floated but I'm not sure about the condition of the canyon.

I don't think we're helping FANCYLANCE out much here, but a little healthy ribbing is always a good time.
    Not at all, Scott. And I thank any one who does not read my stuff with a critical eye and a sharp red pencil! Uhhh.... unless I hired them to do it....

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Now Now….. Play nice boys!!! Alaska’s a small state there’s only one road out of here>>>>LOL

Well here’s the deal , my buddy just bought a 16 foot cataraft and were going to float from the Russian River to Soldotna in 3 days . So were going to be floating the canyon which is the only part of the Kenai that I have not been on. I can control a cataraft well but not a pro , is the canyon to dangerous this time of year considering the water levels and such. Should I Know about any major obstacles ? Do you think were down right crazy? Any info is most helpful!!!

Were also looking for black bears if you have any advice about that as well.

Thanks again,
    Fancy Lance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bears and Fun

I saw the biggest Black Bear of my life just above Jim's landing last year so I know they're in there.
    I can't help you on the condition of the canyon though. Hopefully someone else will have some info for you.

Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck.

Default hmmm

i wouldnt think so. I flew over it on sunday to scout it for myself, and the canyon looks calm and very floatable, a couple rocks and a minor obstacle course. No major drops though. The only think i would be worried about is skilak, because it is not open. its only opened up about a mile out from the canyon. the whole other 4 or 5 miles is frozen. Even at the lower campground it was all locked up. cant even launch your boat. It might have changed with monday and tuesdays weather. If i was you, i would consider after memorial day. This early would be bad ju ju for you.
    Go Fish

Hey there Liv2fish87 you mentioned that you flew over someone camping down there at the mouth of the canyon, do you think they floated in or walked the trail down?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    i wouldnt think so. I flew over it on sunday to scout it for myself, and the canyon looks calm and very floatable, a couple rocks and a minor obstacle course. No major drops though. The only think i would be worried about is skilak, because it is not open. its only opened up about a mile out from the canyon. the whole other 4 or 5 miles is frozen. Even at the lower campground it was all locked up. cant even launch your boat. It might have changed with monday and tuesdays weather. If i was you, i would consider after memorial day. This early would be bad ju ju for you.
    YOU MENTIONED THAT PEOPLE WERE CAMPING DOWN THERE , DO YOU THINK THEY FLOATED OR WALKED THE TRAIL DOWN? i POSTED THE SAME THING ON THE THREAD. THANKS FOR YOUR INFO SUPER HELPFUL!!

Oh i see how this works......duh....

Default i think they walked in

im pretty sure they walked in, because i did not see a boat.
    Go Fish

Well , made it alive !!!!! Skilak is still a bit frozen in the middle the ice thats there is just blowing back and forth depending on the wind direction but the upper skilak boat launch was open and it was clear all the way there from the mouth of the canyon. Great trip!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FANCYLANCE View Post
    Well , made it alive !!!!! Skilak is still a bit frozen in the middle the ice thats there is just blowing back and forth depending on the wind direction but the upper skilak boat launch was open and it was clear all the way there from the mouth of the canyon. Great trip!!!!
    Awesome! Thanks for letting us know!!!!

Who wants to go tomorrow?

Default Thanks for the Update.

Thanks for the update, Fancy. Did you see any bears?

Ya , saw 2 bears, a black bear , of course he was standing on the wrong side of the river , right in the wildlife refuge. We also saw a small brown bear down by dots. Oh well. Still just an awsome trip!!!