Thread: Left Recurve Bow - New Archer

Default Left Recurve Bow - New Archer

I am a beginning archer looking to purchase a recurve bow. I shoot left, stand 5'3", and have been pulling approximately 20# on what may have been a junior's bow.

I would appreciate any recommendations on brands/models or perhaps someone has one in their garage they no longer use.

Thanks for your help.

Nat you should be able to find a lefty on ebay. Bows are selling dirt cheap right now so your timing is great. You cant go wrong with a Bear, Pearson, Darton or Browning. The other manufacturers are basically hit and miss. Vintage bows are great shooters and can be had for less than half the cost of new production bow and a third of the cost of custom. Just be sure the limbs are strait.

Good luck traditional archery is addicting. Best advice I can give a new archer is find a club near you and actually atend some of the meetings/shoots. Nothing helps your learning curve more than having an experianced group of guys and gals to shoot with.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Welcome to Trad archery and yes it is addicting.
    Ditto on what Rick said also.

I am a lefty too.

Got my recurve bow off tradgang.com last fall for $140 delivered.

Some good deals out there if you shop around.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was in a class with a loaner take down recurve, but I think I am going to go traditional with the Bear Kodiak Cub to keep practicing. Too bad they don't make a Sow or something and then there wouldn't be a shot to the pride.

Nat

There are lots of bows that will still work well for you with less diminutive names as well than the "cub". My wife shoots a fleetwood "champ" that is 25# draw.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.