Thread: Upper Kenai River Closure

Default Upper Kenai River Closure

I thought the kenai river was closed to fishing for rainbows and dollies till june 11th? ever day i look at the webcam and some ass hole is backing his boat in. Im going to drive down that way this weekend and i hope to see some1s car parked in the parking lot with a boat trailor. Fish n game seem to always be at that river when im there... where are they when its closed?
    Go Fish

Does the upper have the loophole dolly fishery like the middle does. That might answer the question. I did not think it did but I will have to check.

Exclamation upper river

A friend and I drove by this weekend after leaving Kasilof/Crooked Creek and saw at least 5 boats fishing the upper river then we saw the Fish & Game Trooper at the Russian River Boat put in with another boat. So hopefully they got some of the idiots!

Default lol

Yeah i checked that, funny you should say that, i saw the loop hole on the regs then got excited thinking it was the same for the upper.. its not though. I remember last year on like may 2nd i went down and me and 3 other boats were putting in at cooper for the float to fish. A guide came up to us that saw us gearing up and told us fishing was closed. I thought it had closed on the 11th to the 11th. Thats when i found out it was the 1st to the 11th. We floated it for the float, we drove up there might aswell right? either way, Its driving me crazy to see that on the webcam.
    Go Fish

some people float for the sake of floating. Driving by saturday I saw someone fishing from a raft near cooper creek. I could not find F&G's number to call it in or else I would have.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

No dolly loophole on the middle anymore at least down to the Upper Killey. The regulation was changed last year to "closed to fishing from Skilak Lake downstream to Upper Killey River from May 2 - June 11. It is open below the Upper Killey River for fishing but it is closed to rainbows.
    This one is a subject for debate at another time but if 90% of the raibows are protected with closed waters from Kenai Lake downstream to the Upper Killey River then why not just allow fishing for rainbows below the Upper Killey River with no retention during the spawning time? If it leaves to many rainbows unprotected then change the boundary to the point that it will not harm the rainbow population by having it open to fishing for rainbows byt closed ro retention during this timeframe.
    If the water is open to dollies then let people go fish the same area in the Kenai. Willow, Montana, Goose, and Campbell are all open to rainbow fishing right now with a closed retention on rainbows are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    some people float for the sake of floating. Driving by saturday I saw someone fishing from a raft near cooper creek. I could not find F&G's number to call it in or else I would have.
    The number for fish and game is on the back of your fishing license.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I knew I saw it somewhere. I thought it was either the front or back cover of the regs, but no dice there.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You are allowed to fish 1/4 mile above the copper landing bridge at the lake. Which right now is covered with ice. Asked Fin and Feather the other day "if i fish at the edge of the ice above the bridge am I good?" He responded "Maybe".

Default Idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_sierra View Post
    A friend and I drove by this weekend after leaving Kasilof/Crooked Creek and saw at least 5 boats fishing the upper river then we saw the Fish & Game Trooper at the Russian River Boat put in with another boat. So hopefully they got some of the idiots!
    I floated from Sportsman's to Jim's and saw one other boat, but didn't see any "idiots" fishing. Are you sure these "idiots" were actually fishing and not just floating with their families? I had a couple of vehicles honk at me insistently as they drove by on Sunday and I half wondered if they were trying to tell me the fishing was closed. The signs at the put-in are very easy to understand and the regs are very clear on this closure. One would truly have to be an "idiot" to fish the upper right now. Sunday was a great day for a float though and the absence of thousands of "idiots" fishing made it even more enjoyable.

I still would rather have been fishing, but it was a great day anyway.

lv2fish87
    do you have the link for the webcam? A friend of mine is wondering about the ice in the lake.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=12&viewId=6

This is the only one I have it is the cam showing sportmans
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

thanks Chuck. They will just have to call wildman's on the lake conditions.

Default ?

This ahole had a great float. Live2fish, read a reg book once in a while and worry about yourself instead of what other people are doing. Go look for another loophole.

Talking about the ice on the lake I drove by Kenai Lake yesterday (May 9) and it had open leads all over the place but it still has ice on it for the most part.
    Also for the first time that I can ever remember there is a flashing warning sign on both sides of Skilak Lake Road that warn about bad driving conditions and recommend four wheel drive only to travel this road. It must be pretty darn bad to put a sign out as I have driven it many times when I thought it was marginal without seeing a warning sign so anyone planning on going down Skilak Lake Road here is a little heads up.

Dont look now, he is accusing someone of illegally fishing for rainbows based on the time stamp on the photos. By the way this a-hole also had a great float testing the new boat before fishing season.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Talking about the ice on the lake I drove by Kenai Lake yesterday (May 9) and it had open leads all over the place but it still has ice on it for the most part.
    Also for the first time that I can ever remember there is a flashing warning sign on both sides of Skilak Lake Road that warn about bad driving conditions and recommend four wheel drive only to travel this road. It must be pretty darn bad to put a sign out as I have driven it many times when I thought it was marginal without seeing a warning sign so anyone planning on going down Skilak Lake Road here is a little heads up.

This time of year Skilak Lake Loop can be very hazardous... 4-5 years ago this time of year we had a friend head down the Jims landing side of the road and only a mile towards hidden lake barried his explorer to the axles.... The road appears to just turn to liquid sometimes.