Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was it, an eel?

Default What was it, an eel?

I was out riding the motorcycle last week and I decided to stop off at the Salcha boat launch. In my shore wanderings I found something that may have been an eel? It was about 10 inches long, no discernable eyes, the mouth was "snake like" yet toothless. The head and front about two inches were pink to red. What the heck was this? OH yeah, the water COLD too.

Did it look like this? If so then it was a Lamprey Eel
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default maybe

Yeah, I thought it may have been a lamprey. But the "head/neck" were so vividly colored I had a hard time believing that was what it was. It didn't look like the lamprey's back in Michigan.

How did it taste?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I don't know He said it had a snake like mouth. So I would say it can't be a lamprey.
    fresh water huh? I Don't know what it could be.

I've never seen a lamprey in Alaska (newly evasive?). Could it have been a sucker, whitefish, or maybe a burbot? I suspect these are dumb suggestions and you probably know better so please don't be offended. Would be interesting to have a picture to see.

Default Lampreys

there are ALOT of lampreys in AK. Hey Garnede, were you gonna eat that sucker? I see you have it on a cutting board.

It is not my picture, but I know that the natives catch them through the ice on the Yukon river. My understanding mostly comes from fish and games wildlife notebook series.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...h/lampreys.php
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

stimpy

That notebook article says the meat is rich and fatty like salmon, but has a higher percentage of fat content than salmon. It also said that a commercial fishery was attempted in Alaska. Has anybody heard of lamprey meat being sold up here? I'd like to try eating one. I've never seen one alive or dead.

I saw a dead one on a Gulkana Float trip once. I also spot a couple in the shallows that were alive and swimming. I think they come
    into the rivers to spawn.

Yes they do spawn in small streams in the spring and have a much more colorful breeding phase. These are very nasty critters they virtually eliminated Michigan's sport fisheries till a multi state, bi national eradication program was instituted. Michigan still has them but not in numbers that affect the overall game fish populations. There introduction also lead to stronger limits on ballast dumping in the great lakes and st lawrence seaway.

Personally having been in Michigan at the height of the problems with them I can't imagine eating one. I have such a strong visceral reaction to them that even seeing a photo of one makes me think " Kill it, Kill it before it breeds! Kill it, burn its body to ash then dump the ash in acid!" I'd rather pull a turd from the out house and eat that!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I'd rather pull a turd from the out house and eat that!
    This is what we call, "TMI"

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Dude that's nothing compared to some of the posts I've seen on this site!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick you keep too much inside and bottled up. I think you should pratice letting out your feelings and emotions. You will fill better and live longer if you get those feelings out there. Don't be afraid to let loose here. You are among friends.

PS, it is pretty nasty looking.

Default if it does not have eyes, don't eat it

maggots, worms, lamprey..... none have eyes and I ain't eating any of them. I want to look my dinner in a round eye before I cut it up and eat it.....That thing is hideous.....

Smile ugly...

That thing is ugly Ak. Capt. No way it can taste as good as that king of beauty, the Alaskan Ling Cod! Have a safe and prosperous fishing season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Yes they do spawn in small streams in the spring and have a much more colorful breeding phase. These are very nasty critters they virtually eliminated Michigan's sport fisheries till a multi state, bi national eradication program was instituted. Michigan still has them but not in numbers that affect the overall game fish populations. There introduction also lead to stronger limits on ballast dumping in the great lakes and st lawrence seaway.

Personally having been in Michigan at the height of the problems with them I can't imagine eating one. I have such a strong visceral reaction to them that even seeing a photo of one makes me think " Kill it, Kill it before it breeds! Kill it, burn its body to ash then dump the ash in acid!" I'd rather pull a turd from the out house and eat that!
    Exactly!!!!
    Coming from Ontario I have also seen what they can do to a fishery.
    I never met a Lamprey I didn't stomp into a bloody red mush!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post

Did it look like this? If so then it was a Lamprey Eel
    The middle section of this thing looks like a bratwurst....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    maggots, worms, lamprey..... none have eyes and I ain't eating any of them. I want to look my dinner in a round eye before I cut it up and eat it.....That thing is hideous.....
    Lamprey have eyes. at least the adults do. We used to catch them every spring out of meadow creek.

FYI
    Lamprey are a native fish to many Alaskan waters and shouldn't be viewed as the enemy here. They are abundant in many big river tributaries, including the Kenai... as a kid, I use to catch them with my hands for fun in Beaver Creek and put them in a bucket to watch, and when I was a dragger I would snag into one or two a year on the Kenai near Eagle Rock. They may be a problem in Michigan and some other places where they're invasive or have population explosions, but around here they're part of the ecosystem.
    The one you saw was likely one of 3 species (Arctic lamprey, Pacific Lamprey, or Alaskan Brooke Lamprey). They all feed on organic particles as ammoceotes, and process them into smaller pieces that invertebrates (aquatic insects) can then feed on. Otters, Fish, and other species also utilize lampreys as a food source. They sure are ugly, but they do play a role in the ecosystem of many of our watersheds in Alaska.... please don't stomp on them.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast