Thread: Kimber Talkeetna update #2

Unhappy Kimber Talkeetna update #2

A lot of you have been following My Kimber Talkeetna Saga.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42963

I have received several PM's to keep people posted, so I will give and update here.
    After finally deciding on the Talkeetna, I brought it home and started working some rounds through it. It was really scratching and denting the cartridges and was not properly feeding them. See pictures in the linked post)

I called Kimber and nobody really seemed concerned with my problem. They just said send it in and we'll check it out. I found their attitude a little disturbing after spending this kind of money on a rifle that didn’t work, but I thought I’d give them the benefit of doubt and send the rifle back to see what happened.

In about 2 weeks I got my rifle back and took it home for some more testing. I found that it was no longer damaging the cartridges, but the first and fourth round still would not feed without hammering the bolt. If I stroked the bolt fast and hard it would feed, although rough, but slow and controlled forget it.

Well I played with the rifle for several hours just trying to pattern what was happening. I kept thinking that I was just being difficult and should just live with it that’s just the way a 375 H&H feeds. After finally convincing myself that I’m not crazy and something was defiantly not right I called Kimber back again to explain. I got the same old send it back and we’ll take a look at it. I was not satisfied with this answer. Customer service really had no answers for my follow up questions, and all they could tell me about the work done on my rifle the first time they had it was that the ramp, and rails were polished, and the rifle was “function tested” and checked out OK. My thought is that if they “function tested” the rifle they would never have sent it back to me in its current condition. Especially if they knew what proper function is. I did not want to just send the rifle back without first talking to someone who I felt could answer some of my questions.

I went on an Internet search and ended up finding 2 guys who work for Kimber who really know the rifle side of the company. One man who I contacted through his personal email called me back from his home last night. It turns out he is Kimbers Sr. engineer and he is the one that designed the rifle. He was very concerned with my problem and assured me something was defiantly not right. He told me to send the rifle back attn to him and he would make sure that it is fixed right. The guy was very passionate about the rifle and called it his baby and said whatever it takes I will be happy with the rifle when it is returned to me this time. He seems to think some of the wrong parts were installed on my gun.

The second gentleman just returned my call this morning and same story with him. He tells me that Kimber only has a few “rifle guys” who even know what they are talking about, and everybody else is on the pistol side of the company. He also assured me that if I get the rifle in the right hands it will be taken care of. They both tell me that the Talkeetna should be one of the smoothest feeding guns I have ever seen.

I guess the moral of the story is there seem to be some good people at Kimber that want you to be happy with your purchase; you just have to find them.

I sent the rifle back this morning for the second time. I will keep you updated on what takes place. I have to say that this time I am very optimistic. I hope I am not being naive!

Thats good to hear bud, hope they get that baby dialed in for you! Keep us posted.

Default Talkeetna

Its good to hear you found someone with the passion for their product. Keep us posted.

Default A friend had one with failure to feed problems

Send it back and they did fix it. Not that many around, but seem to be some problems. I wonder if they are tested before shipping? Good luck with your rifle.

Unhappy bummer...

I really hope they fix it for you. My pre-64 and "Classic Stainless" CRF .375 feed that long tapered case very well, so should yours. They sure are a good looking rifle.

I talked to my new buddy at Kimber yesterday. He says its fixed now and he wants to hold it until monday for further observation LOL.

Sounds like the follower spring needed to be replaced. From what I was able to gather from our conversation is that kimber makes there own follower springs there. Well they decided to change the way they bend them on a brake. Mine was the old style which put all of the pressure twords the front of the follower.

It makes perfect sense to me. That is exactly where the round would bind between the rail and follower near the front.

I should be getting it back soon and will report more.

Interesting...wonder if that will also apply to others that have had problems with feeding with their Kimbers in other calibers?

Default The source of goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    ...Sounds like the follower spring needed to be replaced...
    I KNEW IT!!!!

Alaska_Lanche and I were discussing some of the feeding issues with the Kimbers after he got his new WSM and I told him thats what I thought it was....and yes, it does make perfect sense! Not claming to be an expert, after all, a blind squirrel finds an acorn from time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I KNEW IT!!!!

Alaska_Lanche and I were discussing some of the feeding issues with the Kimbers after he got his new WSM and I told him thats what I thought it was....and yes, it does make perfect sense! Not claming to be an expert, after all, a blind squirrel finds an acorn from time to time...
    Yes, but I lucked out and got a Kimber that feeds silky smooth out of the box there was never a problem with mine, just discussing the fact that its sad that a company that want $1K for a rifle has had as many problems as they had. I played the lottery and won a good one, but it shouldn't be the case with the amount of $$$. That said if you do it a good one you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yes, but I lucked out and got a Kimber that feeds silky smooth out of the box there was never a problem with mine, just discussing the fact that its sad that a company that want $1K for a rifle has had as many problems as they had. I played the lottery and won a good one, but it shouldn't be the case with the amount of $$$. That said if you do it a good one you'll love it.
    They should at least hop-too and fix the thing without the battle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona