Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close is to close 4 U?

Default How close is to close 4 U?

I was curious how close would be to close for another hunter to be baiting near your set up, not counting your buddies, your own, or natural barries such as wide rivers, etc.

-Less than 1/4 mile, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, a mile, or >?

-What is your comfort level that you would not feel you were being encroached upon?

-Or for that matter encroaching on another hunter?

I am talking if you knew the location of the other bait sights. Lord knows you could be close to another hunter & never even know it. But if you knew!

-My friend told me today that a 1/2 mile was fine by him & that surprised me a bit. But he does that from time to time.

I've had friends put in baits less than a 1/2 mile from mine and we all managed to take bears but if they were strangers, I don't know how close would be too close. I think as long as we all know we are in the same area 1/2 mile would be ok but honestly, it's really hard to say.

While registering my sites yesterday I asked F&G the same question as I am a first timer and am not wanting to step on any toes. Out of respect for other hunters we managed to do a pretty thorough walk around (almost a mile) based on the GPS coordinates. In asking F&G the question if there were any other registered sites within rock throwing distance, their answer was "Doesn't Matter" and "You could legally hook on to the same tree." I know that's not the right thing to do but F&G doesn't have any rules for it.

Lots of unethical scumbag behavior is legal, doesn't make it right. Personally I find game baiting to be one of those things, however if I have an established post I would be quite annoyed if a fellow hunter knowingly set up closer than say 1/2 mile.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sounds like someone should submit a proposal to make it illegal to sit on an established, legally posted baitsite. Making it illegal to bait within a 1/2 mile of another legal baitsite would be good idea too. Noticed how I said....legal.

Sounds like AKhunter45 has a great idea! I'd support that proposal at the next round of BOG meetings. Start writing my friend!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Lots of unethical scumbag behavior is legal, doesn't make it right. Personally I find game baiting to be one of those things, however if I have an established post I would be quite annoyed if a fellow hunter knowingly set up closer than say 1/2 mile.
    1/2 mile minimum.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default that might not be good

I can see something like that being passed at the BOG. It would scare me though!! Letís say youíre looking in an area and you didnít see anything so you set something up. Little did you know just before or after you registered your spot someone registered a spot within whatever the rule would be. Who should pull their stuff? Fish and game would have to set a map or something letting people know if they are too close to someone. That would be asking for a lot of problems for everyone. Just my thoughts! I think if you know someone is there and you donít know them anything with in Ĺ mil is to close.

Talking One Mile

I would never intentionally put a bait site within a mile of a another bait site.

Dennis...small guide-outfitter, who does not enjoy bail hunting.
    AK TAGS

"Larger guide outfits would prefer a 10 mile buffer.

The very biggers and largest and oldest guide businesses would demand a 50 mile in circumferencs, and extending 50 miles into the earths magma, and extending 50 miles upward into the northern lights ."

(OK, a tiny joke)
    dennis

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Interesting, do you find baiting to be scumbag or just unethical?

Default laws vs ethics

Baiting is already difficult enough without putting in place another law to make it more maddening. Depending where you're baiting, it can be extremely difficult to scout a full circle around your site, especially a half mile. And it may not be one spot. Every prospective site would have to be fully scouted prior to setting up. At least cabins or houses show up from the air and sometimes on Google Earth.

Leave it to ethics. Most hunters hunt ethically. Not all hunters' ethics are the same: to one hunter it may be ethical to be a quarter mile away, to another it may be a mile. To say one is an ethical hunter and the other is not without knowing their background is a big stretch. Every time we pass legislation to govern another man's ethics, we further limit our freedoms which made this country great, and we turn more of our liberty over to our government to control. Is that really what we want? If that is, then go ahead and write your letters to the Board. The problem of baits getting too crowded needs to be settled by other means than that of adding more and more restrictions.

Default No more restricting regs....

I agree with willfish4food . We dont need any more regs on top of the existing regs that they cant enforce now because of the lack of troopers budget cuts etc. It comes down to ethics and treating people with respect. Just my 2 cents.....

It wouldn't be that hard to enforce, your either legal or your not. As far as I know, F&G marks on a map the area where a person is setting up his bait site, if they don't do this then they should, and all a person has to do is look at the map to see if anyone is in his area. Saying that most people are ethical when it comes to this is abit of a stretch, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing post about folks having issues with their bait sites and other hunters.
    But if your ok with people setting up bait sites right next to yours or even using yours without your permission then don't do anything and leave it as it is. But don't come complaining when it happens to you.

Default I've not set up a station

but does the registration just use a description of the location? If they required GPS it would be pretty easy to at least let you know if someone else is close to you. Granted, it may be in the next drainage but it would give you some idea.
    But if separation isn't a requirement F&G wouldn't spend the money to do it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

The first thing F&G asked for was the coordinates and said if I didn't have those just to give her a description of the general whereabouts I plan on being. I provided coordinates of course, but, in asking her what the details of the description she was looking for she said approximate mileage or yardage from a creek is usually enough. She (at F&G) appeared content with "Well, I know it's about 6.5 miles from stream "A" and 2.5 miles from stream "B". The coordinates on my registration card are not even listed out as I told her and when I questioned it she said it's in the computer and they know the general area. All in all, this process with F&G seemed very very simple...

Default 1/2 mile

to keep a half mile radius we would all have to give each other our coordinates, in addition to having to give them to ADFW, Fish and Wildlife then might publish same facts and low and behold now were all giving away our hunting locations to other hunters. So the original intent of keeping others away would only serve to have someone staking out your spot next year.... no thanks. I'd rather have someone 300 yrds away and not know about it till a gun went bang, then to give away a honey hole

I agree we do not need more regulation, but it is pretty clear that "Claim Jumping/Encroachment is happening alot. Really hard one. But again what is a reasonable distance to one person is not to another. I love ATA post of the 50 mile sphere!

Maybe we do not have as ethical hunters out in the field as we once did & for sure more of them. Possibly the reason for more rules, NO TRESPASSING signs, & more garabage in the woods?

But something needs to be done to take care of these people that have lower standards & ethics. That is why I had to ask what distance seems reasonable to most hunters to make sure I was not way off my rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Interesting, do you find baiting to be scumbag or just unethical?
    Game baiting, canned hunts, sitting on the only watering hole for 50 miles in Africa, Trophy hunting(leaving the meat behind and taking only antlers or hide) among other perfectly legal hunting practices depending on where and what your hunting are all in my opinion unethical and not really hunting. I very briefly considered a bait stand in my hunting grounds do to an inordinate number of bears last fall. I simply couldn't do it and if I had I sure as heck would not have called it a hunt! It's predator control. I do have several freinds who bait, with gray zones like baiting we all have to do whats right for us. For me canned hunts and Trophy hunting are flat out unethical.

Scumbag is setting up 100yards from a stand someone else has been working for the last month so you can take advantage of there hard work.
    BHA Member

If it's public land, that means it's just that, public. If there was a law enforcing say a half mile buffer between bait sites, then you are taking public land and making it quasi private. Would you also ban anyone from hunting within 1/2 mile of your bait stand? Maybe that's where all the bears gathered from the surrounding public land because of your bait stand. So in reality, you're controlling even more public land because you're drawing bears away from other areas. And what if you shoot your bear the first day? Do you still get to control who hunts that area because you have the registered bait site?

Heck, with a rule like that, PETA types could register bait sites all over prime bear hunting country and keep real hunters out.

Sorry, but in my opinion, I agree with the current ADF&G opinion. Anyone can set up where ever they want on public land. I say no to controlling public land by registering a bait site.

Default trophy hunting

Rick where in the heck can hunters leave the meat?? I have no problem with taking big animials but I cant agree with leaving meat. I dont have a problem with baiting or waterholes however, in some cases (dense bush country like northern alberta) it is the only way and it also gives the hunter a chance to make sure its not a sow etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast