Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual Kenai King Contest... who's in?

Default 2nd Annual Kenai King Contest... who's in?

OK... the Kenai sonar crew is now busily preparing for 2009 and officially starts counting ER kings in about 10 days and change. Anyone getting excited about the upcoming season?

What better way to celebrate than having a little fun with the numbers like we did in 2008! Contest is still pretty simple... but with a few twists added since the first one last year:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30967

One of the glitches we encountered last year was that with only so many possible guesses, it was basically first come, first served. There were a lot of folks who submitted a guess that was already taken. That will be OK this year, because I'm adding a "tie-breaking" rule for identical guesses.

Moreover, with only 48 hours notice last year, some folks didn't get a chance to participate. (I sure wouldn't want to be accused of "reducing opportunity" on anything Kenai-related ) So for folks who might not see this right away, I'm starting the contest with 10 days lead time.

2009 Rules:

1) Reply to this thread by 11:59 PM on May 15 with your guess as to what the first day's (May 16) Kenai River early run sonar estimate will be.

2) You must include a tie-breaking guess at what the fifth day's (May 20) sonar estimate will be.

3) Winning entry will be the guess closest to the May 16 sonar estimate published on the ADFG website without going over. Results should be posted by mid-afternoon on Monday May 18.

4) In the event of identical "winning" entries for May 16, there will be a few added days of suspense. The winning tie-breaking entry will be the guess closest to the May 20 sonar estimate published on the ADFG website without going over. Results of the tie breaker should be posted by mid-afternoon on Thursday May 21.

5) In the event of identical "tie-breaking" May 20 entries, the entrant who first posted them shall be declared the winner.

6) The second closest May 16 guess without going over shall determine the second place winner. (The loser of a tied first place guess is NOT a second place prize-winner). The May 20 guess shall settle a possible tie on May 16 for second place. In case of another tie on May 20, the closest tie-breaking guess posted first on this tread shall be the winner.

7) Third place shall be determined in similar fashion.

Prizes:

Yes, a few changes here as well... again to maximize opportunity and spread the love.

Last year, what started as a fun little give-away on my part morphed into quite the treasure trove of goodies for the winner, thanks to the generosity of other members who bucked up some REALLY nice prizes.

Just so those same folks aren't excluded from potentially winning something this year, I am going to ask all prize donors to specify whether the prize they will be giving away will go to first place, second place, or third place. That way even a prize-donor has a legitimate shot at winning something. We will have BrianM update the portion below so that a current list of prizes stays at the top of the thread.

Have fun.... may the best guess win.... AND....

LET THERE BE KINGS!

FIRST PLACE PRIZES:
    iceblue will give the FIRST PLACE winner a fishing trip for two people for rainbow trout or silvers on the Kenai River during September, October, or November, or a 10'6" Kenai Qwik Certified Pro Lamiglas Rod (new rod that was designed for 2009) if the winner cannot make it out fishing this year.

fishNphysician will send the FIRST PLACE winner THREE new-in-the-package 2009 www.Ifish.net "eyeFISH II" K-15 Kwikfish.

Bernard R. Rosenberg will send the FIRST PLACE winner an electronic flasher 4-packs (http://www.electronicfishinglures.com).

pontiac-chief-51 will send the FIRST PLACE winner a new fillet knife.

SECOND PLACE PRIZES:

yukon will give the SECOND PLACE winner a trip for 2 anytime I have an opening, June, July or early August. (Already booked solid for the last two weeks of July.)

fishNphysician will send the SECOND PLACE winner TWO new-in-the-package 2009 www.Ifish.net "eyeFISH II" K-15 Kwikfish.

Bernard R. Rosenberg will send the SECOND PLACE winner an electronic flasher 4-packs (http://www.electronicfishinglures.com).

THIRD PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the THIRD PLACE winner ONE new-in-the-package 2009 www.Ifish.net "eyeFISH II" K-15 Kwikfish.

Bernard R. Rosenberg will send the THIRD PLACE winner an electronic flasher 4-packs (http://www.electronicfishinglures.com).

Last edited by Brian M; 05-07-2009 at 21:33. Reason: adding prizes
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up I'm in

After many hours of number crunching, I have come up with the very scientific guess of:

May 16 - 58 Kings
    May 20 - 75 Kings

Love the contest Doc. Thanks

Klickman
    Last edited by klickman; 05-05-2009 at 14:01. Reason: spelling

Talking My guess

May 16: 38

May 20: 56

Thanks Doc!

I'll be there on memorial weekend to possibly welcome some of them myself!

May 16: 22
    May 20: 47

I don't do much King fishing, but them thar lures work good for Lakers too!!!

Default My guess is...

May 15 ,22 kings

May 20 ,51 kings

Default pick me!

may 16 44
    May 20 48

I'm such a loser, boo to the bozo who agrees with my guess!

Thumbs up

Mmmm..... A crap shoot for sure

May 16 - 42 Kings
    May 20 - 80 Kings

May 16th - 39
    May 20th - 54
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Here goes nothin...

May 16 = 29 kings
    May 20 = 73 kings
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Okay, 34 for May 16.
    May 20 I guess 42.

I will donate a fishing trip for two people for rainbow trout or silvers on the Kenai River during September, October, or November for the winner. Or a 10'6" Kenai Qwik Certified Pro Lamiglas Rod (new rod that was designed for 2009) if the winner cannot make it out fishing this year. I guess that if I win I will keep the rod and take myself fishing.

Default probably about

17 on the 16th & 42 on the 20th. --

Default pessimists or realists?

WOW! Great early responses!

klickman should get a gold star and a pair of rose-tinted glasses for his eternal optimism! Do I hear higher?

The rest of you guys obviously aren't guessing very "bullish". WAZZUP? Economy got all you naysayers down?

That said, I better get my licks in here before somebody beats me to it.

May 16 = 36
    May 20 = 57

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Different

May 16 5
    May 20 40

Just like the Kentucky Derby I am going after a longshot here. I think Redoubt will blow and have an affect.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

May 16 = 28
    May 20 = 49
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default WOW! That's a BIGGUN'

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I will donate a fishing trip for two people for rainbow trout or silvers on the Kenai River during September, October, or November for the winner. Or a 10'6" Kenai Qwik Certified Pro Lamiglas Rod (new rod that was designed for 2009) if the winner cannot make it out fishing this year.
    That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Thanks for that VERY generous prize contribution, iceblue!

So is it safe to assume that's a FIRST PLACE prize?

Confirm with BrianM and he can tack it to my lead post.

Thanks again for the good will from the guide community!
    The KeenEye MD

May 16 - 33
    May 20 - 185
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Gotta Try

May 16th = 22
    May 20th = 30

May 16 - 23
    May 20 - 59

May 16th, 30
    May 20th, 60

May 16 19
    May 20 31

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast