Thread: new to the area

Default new to the area

i live in anchorage on elmendorf and its been a while since i have really mtn biked but i would love to experence some of the trails here in town can anyone recommend some good trails to ride

Default Great trails in and around Anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
    i live in anchorage on elmendorf and its been a while since i have really mtn biked but i would love to experence some of the trails here in town can anyone recommend some good trails to ride
    Depending on what kind of riding you like, there are options all over the place. Keep in mind that the trails are closed to mountain bikes until June 1st to let them firm up after the spring melt. Riding on them now can cause damage that will stick around all summer long.

For the more average rider just looking to get some time on the dirt, both Hillside (accessed from either Abbott Road near Hilltop Ski Area or from Stuckagain Heights Road) and Kincaid (at the end of Raspberry Road) have lots of wide dirt trails. Both places also have some more technical single-track riding mixed in that you can find while riding around.

If you are looking for longer rides or even over-night type trips, the Kenai Peninsula has some great options. Check out Resurection Pass or Johnson Pass. Russian Lakes trail is another good option for a day ride.

A good place to start would be to swing by one or two of the local bike shops and just ask where to go. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Check out Chain Reaction Cycles, Paramount, The Bicycle Shop, Speedway Cycles, and others I can't think of right off the top of my head.