Thread: a better headnet???

Default a better headnet???

Just wondering if anyone has found a better headnet? Most of the ones that I have ever used worked well but the visability is aways restricted. Got me to thinking if any has found a better mouse trap. If you have please share the detail with the rest of us.

Go Black and never go back...

The best ones I have come across from 30+ years in the bush is those made of black mesh. You forget you have them and try to take bite of you sandwich. A freind had his mother in-law make them out of the mesh cloth for sheer dresses. I found a camo hat that had one built into the front of the hat. Looked like a pregnant hat but is my moose hunting hat. I saw one at 3 river fly and tackle yesterday. So there is my 2 cents.......

George

Thumbs up Columbia Head Net/Hat

By far, one of the greatest products Columbia has ever produced.

Default Black mesh = improved visibility

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Go Black and never go back...

The best ones I have come across from 30+ years in the bush is those made of black mesh. You forget you have them and try to take bite of you sandwich. A freind had his mother in-law make them out of the mesh cloth for sheer dresses. I found a camo hat that had one built into the front of the hat. Looked like a pregnant hat but is my moose hunting hat. I saw one at 3 river fly and tackle yesterday. So there is my 2 cents.......

George
    +1 on the black mesh described by George. I borrowed one of those black mesh/ballcap combos and must agree the black improved visibility dramatically compared to my own green mesh version.

I don't know if it's the best mouse trap out there, but Barney's sells one made by Outdoor Research that stays off your face and is very compactable.

Brett

Default where

I know this may seem silly but I have never seen a black one. Can't seem to locate one as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

I like the Outdoor Research (OR) products also. I have one that is just a head-net with a built in metal band that springs the netting away from your face. I also have a Bug Bucket hat that consists of a bucket hat with netting attached to the brim. Both have stow pockets and are small to carry. I keep one in my flight vest, and the other in my fishing vest.

Spring Net (Doesnt come with the hat shown) - http://www.rei.com/product/751955

Bug Bucket Hat - http://www.rei.com/product/751956

Good Luck !

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I know this may seem silly but I have never seen a black one. Can't seem to locate one as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
    REI has the ones with black mesh and the "pregnant" baseball cap ones, which also have black mesh.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Bug Jacket

T, not sure how long you'll be in Dillingham before your hunt, but the Muddy Rudder (main restaurant in Dillingham) used to sell black mesh bug jackets for 10-15 bucks, I picked one up in 2002 and have never looked back! I use it when the bugs are bad and also when cleaning game to keep the skeeters, white sox and blowflies at bay.

Default Sharpie it!

Believe it or not this works...

Find the area where your eyes look through the net... Color the area black with a black sharpie marker. Worked on mine bug tamer head net...

"I like the Outdoor Research (OR) products also. I have one that is just a head-net with a built in metal band that springs the netting away from your face. Spring Net (Doesnt come with the hat shown) - http://www.rei.com/product/751955"

That's the one I was talking about.

Brett

I've been suing the OR bug headnet for about 5 years now and it has saved me from skeeters many, many times. It is lightweight and easily packs into your pocket or pack. I wouldn't hunt in the Alaska lowlands without one.