Thread: Delta Clear Water

Question Delta Clear Water

Looking for some info on how the conditions are right now and if the birds are around. Thinking about heading down from North Pole tomorrow to give it a try.

Default Back in the day.......

There used to be mallards on the Clearwater all winter long.........

There are if you know where to go, I had a good hunt fri afternoon 7 nice mallards, 6 drakes and 1 suzie who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    The ramp is getting pretty nasty so watch yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How late does the water stay open at Clearwater? New to the area this year and trying to figure places out still for future years. Nice bag MCAT! I always love the look of greenheads on white snow!

Michael, it stays open all winter. When it gets real cold like -55 to -60 for an extended time it will freeze up but that's pretty rare.

Cool, are the warm springs or something? Or moving water? What causes it to stay open? Thanks! Mike

It's a mix of fresh water springs I think.

Default Last Saturday on the Clearwater

We managed to take a few birds of the clearwater last weekend. We had a little trouble with the boat, so we didn't make it tou our intended spot. their were sheets of ice floating down river that made boating a little more interesting. The ice even started carrying some of our dekes downstream later in the morning. It still held a few birds, but I think we would of been hard pressed to shoot limits. Regardless, we had a great time on the last hunt of the year.

You gotta stop working weekends. I was looking hard for someone crazy enough to make the trip with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish, I'm pretty weekend-bound with work. I think you ought to quit working weekdays, always less pressure during the week :-)

The clearwater typically isn't all that good, mostly just a loafing area for the birds but the vicinity is fantastic. We just about limit out each time we go out.
    My hunting partner is from Fairbanks and has lived up here for years and he couldn't believe the amount of Mallards that stay all winter.

That's why I only hunt geese in Sept and Oct, because the duck hunting isn't any good till late Oct on.