Thread: Beach landings

Default Beach landings

I'm looking for any recommended techniques for landing on (ebb tide) and then refloating (flood tide) from the beach. My depthfinder hardware is aft starboard, so it better to land with port or starboard to the beach to protect the hardware? Dealing with flood tide surf (as Murphy will require the wind to kick up once I'm high and dry)? Etc. Etc.

Any thoughts/experience out there?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Tikahtnu View Post
    I'm looking for any recommended techniques for landing on (ebb tide) and then refloating (flood tide) from the beach. My depthfinder hardware is aft starboard, so it better to land with port or starboard to the beach to protect the hardware? Dealing with flood tide surf (as Murphy will require the wind to kick up once I'm high and dry)? Etc. Etc.

Any thoughts/experience out there?

Thx!
    How big is your boat? How steep is the beach you are thinking about, and how exposed? Sand, pebble, cobble? With any surf to speak of, you run the risk of getting swamped in a hurry as the tide comes in, even with your bow into it. Without surf, it's not really a big deal at all. Why not just anchor off and paddle ashore in a packraft or some other type of dingy?

My preference in a protected anchorage is something I've heard referred to as an Aleut anchor. I bring the boat to shore, everyone unloads, then I attach a 10# mushroom anchor to a 3/8" line with 20-30' of scope depending on the depth of the water, and then the remaining 70-80' of line I put on shore. The mushroom anchor is placed on the gunnel, and I push the boat off into deeper water. When the boat is ~50' out, I give the line a tug, the mushroom anchor goes overboard, and the boat is anchored up. I tie the line off to shore, and we go explore.

When we come back I just pull the boat in the in via the line on shore, we re-board and are on our merry way.

There aren't many beaches that are boat friendly, so it's either the aleut anchor or take a dinghy to shore.

I have an aluminum boat and just drive up with the bow on shore and let the tide go out then let her float once the tide comes back in (normally taking a nap at this point). I only do this in protected coves, bays, etc so not sure what I would do on an exposed beach.

Thumbs up Bow Out

Does two things: Keeps the bow into a rogue wave (passing ferry, ect.) and allows you and a few strong friends to push the boat back into the water (depending on the size of boat <22') if the beach is cooperative.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

As eluded to, steep banks can be a real problem
    some boats- won't float aft portion fast enough and they take water over transom. Saw two "river style boats" years ago in culross passage that filled with water on steep bank.
    If fiberglass i would only be looking at sandy or mud bottom
    make sure next tide is high enough to float boat from spot you let it go high and dry.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

First, thanks to those posting to date.
    The boat is a 25' Wooldrige Deep Water Plus. A bigger cousin to Broncoformudv's craft and a bit to large to horse into the water and take off. I'd scout before selecting the beach, of course.

Thumbs up

Doug has the right idea! This works great even on banks with a slight slope, the tide is gone, the boat can still slide right back into the water anytime and safe from waves. This opens up many more places you can beach compared to the transom out approach.