Thread: hardtail opinions

Default hardtail opinions

im looking to buy a new hardtail ... im considering a novara aspen and a marin bolinas ridge... any opinions or suggestins?

I absolutely love my Marin. I haven't been on that particular model, but I've been impressed with their bikes as a whole.

Default hard rock

Im also looking at a plain jane specialized hard rock or a fisher tarpon...

what should i look for when i test ride a bike?

thanks

Default hardrock..... cannondale f9?

I am also considering these bikes.... when i test ride a bike what should i look for ?

thanks

Default Cannondale

After looking for a while I've decided to get a cannondale F7 or F5

Cannondale is a great bike! Probably one of the nicest frames out there. When it comes to hardtail frames, there really isn't a lot of difference between them other than geometry and fancy marketing gimmicks. Cannondale kicks butt when it comes to the suspension, low maintenence for harsh Alaska conditions and very little flex compared to everything else out there, you don't notice the handling difference at first, but you do if you switch back to any other fork.

Default Shifting

Besides which frame feels best to you, make sure you get a bike that feels best to shift. Spending a little more $$ on nicer derailers can make a big diff. in your enjoyment of riding. I prefere rapid fire 8 speeds over grip shifts, thats just what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    I prefere rapid fire 8 speeds over grip shifts, thats just what I like.
    Could you translate that for me? I take it a grip shift is the twisty, throttle-like shifter? If so it seems like those would "hang-up."

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Could you translate that for me? I take it a grip shift is the twisty, throttle-like shifter? If so it seems like those would "hang-up."

Tim
    Here is the trigger shifter:

Here is the twist, throttle like shifter:

I prefer the trigger shift as its easier IMO to shift on rougher terrain while bouncing along as your are and wrist postion dones't really have to move too much to accomodate twisting the shifter on your handle bars but rather is more of just a flick of a switch with the trigger.

That said my wife has the twist shift on her bike and she likes it just fine.

Ah-ha. That's what I thought. The twist-type does'nt seem as heavy-duty as the trigger-type.

I have never used a good grip shift so I don't know if they exist. I have used a good trigger setup on a trek and it was impressive. None of that "between gear" grinding like on cheap bikes. You just pull the trigger or push the lever (depending on up or down shift) and it goes to the next gear. 1 pull or push = 1 gear, want to go 2 gears? 2 pulls or pushes and your there! When a new bike makes it's way to the top of my somewhat lengthy list I will spring for the trigger style shifter.

Here are derailers:
    Rear-

Front-