Thread: Fly Fishing help wanted...

Default Fly Fishing help wanted...

I'll be moving up to Nancy Lake area for 3 months this summer to work at the park and have always wanted to learn to fly-fish but never gotten a chance. I thought about buying some gear and trying to learn while I'm up there but was wondering if anyone might not mind teaching me the basics and/or fishing with me at some point. Like I said I'll be working at the park, but will have weekends and evenings/mornings to myself. I'll also have access to a canoe and motorboat, so I was hoping there might be some kind fisherman (or fisherwoman?) who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes so to speak.

Default Teach yourself...

Buy this video...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

It is by Lefty Kreh, fly fishing legend, and is a great intro to fly casting. He makes it easy to understand and it is not as boring as most instructional dvds I have seen. This is one thing I did when I got started and it made things click very well. Well worth the money.

For a beginner, it would be hard to go wrong with one of the kits from Cabelas. My suggestion would be a 4 piece rod in the 5 wt or 6 wt range. That would be a pretty good place to start. This video and the rod/reel/line combo would set you back $200. Not bad for a complete set up with instructions.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Steve @ 3 Rivers aka willphish4food (sp) will be at there Willow shop in the summer. He is also a guide and I am sure if you go fishing with him you can get some very good instruction on not only casting but fishing with the wiggly stick. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the LIGHT side...

George

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Buy this video...
    For a beginner, it would be hard to go wrong with one of the kits from Cabelas. My suggestion would be a 4 piece rod in the 5 wt or 6 wt range. That would be a pretty good place to start. This video and the rod/reel/line combo would set you back $200. Not bad for a complete set up with instructions.

Thanks for the recommendations, I may have to pick those up.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Steve @ 3 Rivers aka willphish4food (sp) will be at there Willow shop in the summer. He is also a guide and I am sure if you go fishing with him you can get some very good instruction on not only casting but fishing with the wiggly stick. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the LIGHT side...

George
    I'll definitely check it out regardless since their shop is practically right next to where I'll be staying. Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

Steve is a great guy......he might be able to recommend an instructor who specializes in beginners as well.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Don't forget to do a little research on youtube! There's a lot of good beginners instruction on youtube. It's free and a good way to get a feel for how to cast. I second Dan's suggestion for buying a cheap 5wt 4 piece combo from Cabelas. They sell some great beginner combos that you can have fun with for less than $100 complete with reel, line and tippet!

Watch all the videos you can and practice, practice and practice!

Welcome to the fun and satisfying world of flyfishing!