Thread: Bow or Transom mount electric trolling motor

Default Bow or Transom mount electric trolling motor

I am still struggling over the trolling motor issue. It seems very complex and I know it aint. I got the thrust and size figured out. I am wanting to do a transom mount with a remote to work it from their. Will that work on a sportjon? I know it will propably be recommended to use a bow mount, but dont really want to put it there...More help needed.
    "One Last Cast"

my 14 foot jet boat i have a bow mounted motor with wrist watch controls i use it only for bowfishing for pike, from on deck i built in front.
    what are you wanting it for? my guess is you will have better control with it in the front. also better to see to avoid obsticles. hope to use mine tomorrow if ice is off lake
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

fk 107

What sieze and thrust did you get.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    fk 107

What sieze and thrust did you get.

I havent got it yet but am looking at least 70 lbs thrust, based on my weight. I am deciding on size based on location of where I am putting it. Cabelas online has a ton of info in deciding .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ryId=SEARCH_ai
    "One Last Cast"

I have an electric on the front of my 21' custom weld. Get one of the autopilot models to give you some flexibility on control. Also you can get the removable mount so it is just a plate left on the front when you want to not have it on board. Very good for lake fishing, but not needed on the river.

I had a transom mount on a 12' jon boat as the only motor, ok in calm water but pretty much useless in current and waves when trying to put the boat where you want to fish and keeping it there, my next one was on the bow of a Ranger and it worked well in current but I made the mistake of a short shaft and kept sucking air in waves, now I have a 70lb thrust long shaft/copilot/autopilot/quickmount on the bow of an Alumacraft Trophy (a set up like Stratofisher suggested) and it handles current and waves, lots of control to stay on a hot spot, easy to remove and leave in the truck. I mounted it so it folds along the gunnel and is really out of the way when in the stowed position. I looked thru my pics but don't have a clear shot of it. If you like I'll take some and email them to you.
    Last edited by Jonsboat; 05-05-2009 at 20:21. Reason: Name of boat not Alumaweld but Alumacraft