Thread: Eye Contact Challenge Question

Default Eye Contact Challenge Question

When I give my dog a command and she is slow to execute it such as sit I correct this behavior by locking eyes with her and leaning over her to remind her I am the boss. This cleans up her disobedience for me really fast.

At times during training(mainly when working with hand signals my dog locks eyes with me when she is waiting on a command. If the command does not come in a few seconds though her posture changes from "what do you want me to do" to "oh crap I better back down". Today while working on hand signals I wore sunglasses. Nothing else changed, my dog looked at me for command direction the same way as she always does. At one point in the training I gave her a whistle sit so she would turn and face me to get the hand signal to execute her next command. As always she looked at my face and because of me not remembering where I threw a bumper she sat there for a few seconds awaiting a command. This time she kept looking at me instead of backing down like she normally did until I gave her the next command. Am I wrong for thinking that this is because I was wearing sunglasses and she could not see my eyes? I know this is probably a weird question but I noticed that she would look into my eyes more and longer today than she does when I am not wearing sunglasses. I am just curious.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

This can and may be related to blind attitude.
    Seems like you have a type b maybe even a little c. Soft and crumbles with too much correction.
    You just need to do things to boost your dogs confidence. Also don't forget to let your dog know when they have done well. There's nothing wrong with saying "good dog" "alright" "Good" Reward them when they have done well.

Ok. Back to your question.
    When I teach dogs to sit to a whistle and to turn and face me. To keep there focus on me once they have turned I initially will toss a bumper towards them. It teaches them that when they whistle sit they turn and face me. Watching my every move expecting me to toss a bumper. Great way to keep there focus and eye contact.

Thank you for the pointers! She is a very soft dog. I give her a good girl and a pet every time she brings me back a bumper. Is there any other kind of reward that may get more of a response from her?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me