Thread: Help Shimano salmon reels

Default Help Shimano salmon reels

What is a good shimano salmon reel for silvers #18-#20 line
    on a 9 ft rod ? Thanks

I like the tekota reels, nice reels and they don't cost too much.

Default Shimano

Shimano T-100s. Can't beat the reel or the price. Bantam 50s if you can find them on Ebay. Shimano doesn't make them anymore.

Tekota reels with the line counter are very good, IMO...

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Tekota reels with the line counter are very good, IMO...
    Great reel if you dont use them in the salt. reel is exceptional, line counter sucks. they do work great but the longevity of them is not so good. bought 6 for the boat last year, reels are washed down after every use, extensivly, and still have 2 of the 6 that dont work this year. Tackle repair Center has had MANY of the Tekota's with the same line counter problems. If I had it to do over again I would buy the same reel, just no line counter.

Default Shimano Reel

I got the Curado last year, use it for all salmon, caught a 34lb king last year with it on a 8'6" lamiglas and it performed perfect. A friend has an older model that he has used in salt and fresh water, he wants to get a new one, but his old one (about 5-6 years) still works flawlessly. A little pricy, but worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Great reel if you dont use them in the salt. reel is exceptional, line counter sucks. they do work great but the longevity of them is not so good. bought 6 for the boat last year, reels are washed down after every use, extensivly, and still have 2 of the 6 that dont work this year. Tackle repair Center has had MANY of the Tekota's with the same line counter problems. If I had it to do over again I would buy the same reel, just no line counter.
    Sorry you had bad luck with them. Hope they get fixed.

I have been using the Tekota LC reels down here on the charter boat I captain and they do well for me. Way better than the Diawa reels I've had in the past. My clients mooch for salmon in the salt, so those reels really get worked hard, on a daily basis. I expect a few to fail a season, but it's usually the bail lever that stops working. I've only had one LC fail.

I also use the Tekota LC on my personal gear. So far I haven't had any issues.

Default spinning reel

My mistake spinning reel fresh water!

Depends on how much you want to spend. Shimano Stradic is a great model for Salmon and Steelhead, but do you want to spend $150 dollars? The Symetre is $100.

Default shimano

would you go as big as 8000fI ? Thanks

Default 4000

I've never used a Shimano 8000, but it seems a little big to me (and that might just be me).

You mention 18-20 lb line--are you thinking a braid? If so, that should be comparable to a 6-8 lb mono, and Shimano 4000 will hold 240yds of 8lb. I think 20lb braid is closer to 6 lb mono though.

Stradic 400 for all my silver spinning rods.