Thread: model 70 upgrades

Default model 70 upgrades

I have a winchester model 70, .300 wm (LA), stainless and synthetic. It is all stock. Basically all I use this for is hunting. Sheep, goat, moose, bear, etc.

I've been thinking about making a few improvements. I was thinking about a new trigger and maybe a lighter stock if one exists.

Any suggestions?

Richard

Don't get a new trigger, get a good smith to work the stock one over. A tuned stock trigger is one of the best investments one can make in the Model 70.

For stocks, go with a McMillan Edge. The wait is awhile, but worth it.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I really like McMillan stocks but there are lots of good brands on the market such as HS, MPI, etc. But whatever you do leave do not replace the trigger! Any good gunsmith can get it down to 3-3.5 pounds with no creep for a reasonable fee. What made these model 70's so bullet proof was there simplistic trigger that works every time under the most harshest of conditions.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I have a winchester model 70, .300 wm (LA), stainless and synthetic. It is all stock. Basically all I use this for is hunting. Sheep, goat, moose, bear, etc.

I've been thinking about making a few improvements. I was thinking about a new trigger and maybe a lighter stock if one exists.

Any suggestions?

Richard
    your winchester model 70 trigger is the easiest to tune....there are two opposing nuts that, moved up or down will give you a lighter (or heavier) pull. i like to use a trigger guage so that all my rifles are consistant. that way , am never surprised by an inconsistant trigger.

i lapped the lugs by hand, and really improved the function.

my synthetic stock is o.k by design, but a bit flexible in the forend. this was fixed by bedding the action, AND bedding a steel rod in the forend. no more twist, barrel touching, or flexing. i can even use a harris bipod w/o any problem.

the whole project cost only the bedding compound.

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Don't get a new trigger, get a good smith to work the stock one over. A tuned stock trigger is one of the best investments one can make in the Model 70.

For stocks, go with a McMillan Edge. The wait is awhile, but worth it.

It is called: "The rifleman's rifle", for a reason. Adjust the trigger yourself, and go hunting. You can fix perfect, you can only screw it up. If you want to putz with something, buy my Interarms Mauser .375 H&H and put a new stock, 3-position wing safety, and cut the barrel to 19", install a Lyman 57 receiver sight. And you will have created a "WINCHESTER".

Get a synthetic stock only if you really think you'll need it.

The trigger really is bulletproof. The only trigger better would be a Jewel. Not a gemstone jewel, but a Jewel trigger. User adjustable from 5 pounds down to only a few ounces. The best.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Stock

How much weight could I save by switching from my winchester synthetic stock to an aftermarket "lightweight" stock?

I can't see spending all that money to save an ounce, but it it 1/2 a pound, the decision might be a little tougher...

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    How much weight could I save by switching from my winchester synthetic stock to an aftermarket "lightweight" stock?

I can't see spending all that money to save an ounce, but it it 1/2 a pound, the decision might be a little tougher...
    the weight to money factor is nearly equal, in that the extra-light weight is expensive. with the standard action, barrel contour, and optical equipement it may be a waste of money.

check the web for current prices and weight savings. good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

Some time back I asked about spare parts to have for the M70. The extractor was pointed out as the weak link. Williams makes a nice replacement.

Default My mod 70's

Both have identical work done to them. I have a featherweight syn/blue in 308 and a syn/blue sporter mag in 338 WM.

well, almost identical. but will be soon.

pillar and glass bedded and identical trigger work. Honed just a touch with 3.5lb of pull.

308 started life with wood. Picked up an original synthetic stock for it, so I have to glass and pillar bed it still.

Never had an issue with them & frankly the only improvements I'd make in mine would be make them blued stainless classic actions

Probably put 25,000 rounds total through the pair over the last 20 years. Their probably my two best friends in the world. Don't tell the wife I said that though.....

Should have noted the M70's spare parts issue were concerned with the "Claw" extractors.

Default what I did...

I started with a stock Mod. 70 CRF "Classic Stainless" .338 Win. Mag. Cut the barrel to 23 inches and put a set of New England Custom Guns iron sights on it. Lapped the bolt lugs, slicked up the action, fire lapped the barrel and had it fluted. Replaced the claw extractor with one from Williams. Replaced the magazine spring with a spring steel one. Replaced the bottom metal with Ted Blackburn's one piece drop floor plate so the rifle holds 4 in the magazine. Had Mark Bansners put one of their confederate grey 20 oz. Hi Tech synthetic stocks on it that was cut to my specified length of pull and fore arm length, it has a black Decelerator recoil pad. The Warne bases and screw holes were drilled out to accept 8x40 screws. The 2.5 x 8 Leupold scope sets in Warne quick detach rings. The gun smith set and honed the wonderfully simple and rugged trigger to a very crisp and creep free 3 lbs. I then put 5 of the original 250 grain X bullets in Win. cases with a Fed. 215 primer and 73 grains of RL 19 powder. The target in the basement has 5 holes measuring under an inch from center to center. Yes, it was a lucky day. But, minute of moose for sure. I would not flute the barrel if I was to do it again but the whole set up weighs right at 8 lbs. I had planned on getting a new barrel when I started but the rifle shot so well I thought, why bother? Lots of stuff a guy can do if he wants to spend money. The rifle goes to my Grandson Ben.

Are you happy with the safety, ie is it smooth enough? I always avoided Model 70s because all I handled had crunchy, stiff, noisy safeties... but I'm finally starting to see the light. Properly tuned, a 70 safety can be a thing of beauty.

On the other Model 70 thread going at the moment, AKJD mentions "Redneck" from the 24hrcamfire forums....I sent my 70 (300WM FWT stainless/walnut) to him for a trigger job and safety work and am very happy! I tried to find someone local, but none of the 'smiths I talked to seemed to understand the safety work I wanted done.