Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Ruger - Whooooo hooooooo – I think?

Default .375 Ruger - Whooooo hooooooo – I think?

After eyeballing the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan 20” stainless .375 Ruger caliber rifle for the last two years I finally clicked the “Buy” button last night after I found a super deal on one and now I have one on the way.

I wanted this rifle because it, to me, was the perfect rifle built for the harsh and wet climate in Alaska and I figured it would be great for bear defense which would be its primary role. It would also serve as a nice heavy timber elk rifle. I have a Remington 870 with Brenneke “Classic Magnum” slugs with an extended magazine that was being used for intended bear protection up until now.

I was holding out for a new Winchester Model 70 stainless in .375 H&H but who knows if and when that will be made again. I’d like to see one with a 22-24” barrel with iron sights and set up with a synthetic stock. I have called Winchester several times with this request but it must end up in “File 13”???

Anyhow, what was holding me back on buying the .375 Ruger caliber was the fact it was new and commercial ammo varieties were rather sparse. Well, two years after it hit the market things don’t appear to have changed very much and have probably gotten worse with all the other ammo and component shortages going on. I see that Hornady is still the only manufacture of factory ammo and brass for that matter. I checked into ordering some RCBS dies from Cabela’s tonight and they don’t even list them as of yet – Midway does have them however.

I have called Federal to inquire about them making a factory loading with Partitions and Barnes TSX loads but it too goes no where.

I am a reloader but the fact the caliber doesn’t appear to be taking off is troubling to say the least. I know the .375 H&H has been around for ever and is quite popular down in Africa but the .375 Ruger makes a lot of sense in its design, at least to me, for Alaska.

What I would like to know is if the .375 Ruger caliber guns are selling in Alaska and if they are doing well?

The H&H will probably always be king in Africa but I would think the Ruger caliber would be gaining ground on it in Alaska as far as popularity and sales go?

I am hoping I didn’t make a mistake on buying this caliber/rifle last night? I guess I am in need of some reassurance right now all you Alaskan hunters and shooters?

One additional note, I did email Ruger’s President and also expressed my concern as to why Hornady is the only manufacture of ammo right now. I would think Ruger would sell more of these rifles if more variety in ammo was out there.

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bear View Post
    I have a Remington 870 with Brenneke “Classic Magnum” slugs with an extended magazine that was being used for intended bear protection up until now.

Thanks for listening!
    I have no information on the .375 Ruger, although it looks great for your intended purpose. But, have you seen the new
    Black Magic Brenneke slugs? They are the best yet! Super Hard, 600 grains in the 3 inch, coming out at over 1500 FPS!!!

Got one,love it. The advantage is the rifle package rather than the caliber IMHO. Lots on reloading for them here, hit search. If I could find some primers I would be shooting mine more.

A lot of the reason you don't see more ammo companies coming out with loads for the 375 Ruger or the 325 WSM, etc... are that ammo companies these days are all about proprietary loads. The 375 Ruger is a joint venture with Hornady. It is treated much like a patent. Federal isn't going to come out with a load that they know is a Hornady design. Much like you're not going to see a Hornady load in 338 Federal.

Don't worry about the caliber going away. Even if Ruger drops it, Hornady will load it for years and the supplies to reload will be available too.

Default Sigler916

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    A lot of the reason you don't see more ammo companies coming out with loads for the 375 Ruger or the 325 WSM, etc... are that ammo companies these days are all about proprietary loads. The 375 Ruger is a joint venture with Hornady. It is treated much like a patent. Federal isn't going to come out with a load that they know is a Hornady design. Much like you're not going to see a Hornady load in 338 Federal.
    I thought about that too, BUT, a quick check on the Federal web page shows - 7mm Remington Mag, 300 Winchester Short and regular Mag along with various other company calibers and they now load a .204 Ruger and so does Winchester. So, maybe there is hope and it's just I am not giving it enough time (two years)?

The .375 Ruger is kinda reminding me of the .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum - now only loaded by Remington and with very few bullet options to choose from in factory loads.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bear View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman]What I would like to know is if the .375 Ruger caliber guns are selling in Alaska and if they are doing well?
    According to Phil Shoemaker, Ruger sold 8,000 Ruger Alaskan rifles in the first year of availability. Pretty impressive number.

A buddy of mine has one and I am impressed....It carries great and it did a great job on his moose, if you are a reloader....I'd say you have no worries and one fine rifle.

Any .375 is going to have relatively limited US audiance appeal, but Ruger (Hornady) are going for the moon in trying to repeat Winchester's sucess in the line of belted magnums made from the standard .375 H&H back in the 50s. This should help in keeping the base brass available.

But heck, I'm the guy who owned (and shot) .256 mag and .357 Herret, so hope springs eternal.............

I have one and love it. I have good loads for the following bullets.

Barnes TSX 270gr
    Accubond 260gr
    Partition 260gr
    Game King 300gr

Partition and Game King loads are shooting right at an inch. The Accubond at 3/4 and the Barnes TSX at a 1/2 inch.

Default TSX load

Would you mind sharing your TSX load Marshall? Send a PM if you prefer.

Thanks.

Yeah the 375 Ruger is a pretty sweet package. Heres mine.

This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards with the factory 270 grain spires

Marshall...

I'd be interested in your 260 Partition load, I am getting ready to load some of them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post

Thanks.

I tested RL-15 72.9gr to 74.7gr in .3gr increments and found that 73.8gr and 74.1gr grouped the best. My final load was 74.0gr so a +/- .1gr scale error would be in between the two best groups.

Final load:

RL-15 @ 74.0gr
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 270gr
    COL 3.313
    measured ogive .124 off in my rifle
    five shot group at 100 yards measured at .488

I've tried Fed 215, 215M and CCI 250. I found the CCI to have a lower ES in all samples. The 215M was 40fps slower but better ES than 215's.

I started with IMR-4007ssc as published in the Barnes manual but results were disappointing. Accuracy was good but velocity was 230fps slower than published data and their max load appeared to be correct based on chronograph results and pressure signs.

The RL-15 data in their manual says 73.5 is max. I went as high as 74.7 in .3gr steps. All loads were shot through a chronograph. Velocity was coming up incrementally but flat primer and stiff bolt lift showed at 74.7gr, testing stopped.

In my rifle accuracy went away with charges higher than 74.1gr.

**Keep in mind that your results will vary and my data should only be used as a reference**

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Marshall...

I'd be interested in your 260 Partition load, I am getting ready to load some of them up.
    I'm walking out the door, I'll post that recipe tonight.

Your rifle shoots Hornady 270's real well. I have the factory stock and needed to tune my hand loads to shoot as well as your rifle is shooting factory loads.

The difference with Federal loading WSM rounds and others is that more than on manufacturer is chambering their rifles for those calibers. You didn't see anyone loading up WSM stuff until more than Win/Browning were making the guns. Now everyone chambers their rifles for 300 WSM etc.

Same with the 204 Ruger.

My guess is that a company like Savage or maybe Kimber will chamber the 375 Ruger. Then you'll see other loads from other manufactuers.

The last holdout if it becomes a runaway success will be Remington.

Sierra Game King 300gr load.

I tried the Sierra Game King 300gr bullet because I could not get the 300gr Nosler Partition to shoot under an inch in my rifle. I still plan on doing some development with the Barnes 300gr TSX.

RL-15 @ 73.0gr 2654fps
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Sierra Game King 300gr
    COL 3.380"
    measured ogive .045 off in my rifle

measured group at 100 yards was 0.93"

RL-19 @ 83.0gr 2653fps
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Sierra Game King 300gr
    COL 3.380"
    measured ogive .045 off in my rifle

measured group at 100 yards was 0.89"

Several increments of powder and a few seating depths were tried. The above recipes reflect what worked best in my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post

Thanks.
    I forgot to post the velocity of the load for the 270gr TSX, click the link and follow a previous thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52679

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Marshall...

I've have found the Nosler book to be a good source of accurate data. The following worked well for my rifle with the Accubond being the better of the two.

I have settled on the Barnes TSX 270gr as number one in my 375, perhaps these will shoot better with your improved stock.

RL-15 @ 74.3gr 2840fps
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Nosler Accubond 260gr
    COL 3.330"
    measured ogive .162 off in my rifle

measured group at 100 yards was 0.72"

RL-15 @ 74.3gr 2851fps
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Nosler Partition 260gr
    COL 3.254"
    measured ogive .025 off in my rifle

measured group at 100 yards was 1.1"

Both loads are below Noslers published max load. Higher charges and velocity's did not preform well in my rifle.

Smile I am feeling MUCH better now!

Many thanks to all for your input and the load data. I am really interested in the 270 gr TSX's and 260 gr Partitions with some RL-15 and the CCI 250 primers.

It was nice to learn about all the rifles being sold in this caliber and has given me great happiness in my .375 Ruger caliber selection.

Tonight, I stumbled across a great deal on some 300 grain Partitions so I ordered them along with my RCBS dies, a box of brass and some other needed reloading tools for my new caliber. I also picked up a box of Hornady 270 RP-SP factory loads to try out at the range when I take the rifle out for a test drive. I'll get the 270 TSX's and/or 260 Partitions on my next order.

My rifle should be here late next week and I can't wait.
    NRA Life Member

Default New Ruger "Alaskan" has arrived

Here are some photos of the new arrival. She is even better than I expected! Quite compact with very good pointability. The iron sights are excellent IMO and will serve my purpose well until I decide on a scope. Still kicking around the 1.75x6 Leupold with Heavy Duplex reticles but I've also added a Trijicon 1.25x4 with the German #4 and a green dot to the list. Looked through one the other day and found it to be quite impressive. Either way I am going with the Warne QD medium mounts.

I have a box of the Hornady 270 grain RP-SP factory loads and will try the combo out at the range the next chance I get. Also looking forward to my RCBS dies coming in so I can crank out some hand loads - I really want to try the Barnes 270 TSX's.

This is one sweet rifle!

Once again many thanks to all the folks on this forum for their input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

If it were me, I would go with the Trijicon. I have one of their Accupoint scopes and am just blown away by how nice it is. I have tried several of their products and am just very impressed. Great company too. Plus they are the #1 supplier to our military.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast