Thread: some help for a new guy

Default some help for a new guy

Ill be working on evans island till november in pws. Ive been duck hunting for a few years now around home. home is mississippi. I would love to do some duck hunting while im up there. around here you cant just really jump into duck hunting without having some people to start off with. i was wondering if there is any good outfitters or guide services. or maybe just tips on what i need or who to link up with

Default sea ducks

I don't know what they have for puddle ducks that swing through but you should have some great sea duck hunting out there. Just need a few decoys / & small raft or something to retreive them with & you can hunt from shore based on the tides.
    It will make sense once you are out there & will have plenty of time to get the few needed things from sportsmans in anchorage.

Also should have great black bear hunting out there so it might be worth it for a non-res tag.

If you want a guide in your area you can't go wrong with Tim at Alaska Wildfowl Adventures.

They operate out of Valdez so you should be able to hook up with them.

At the moment he is taking a lot of heat from the WA and OR hunters on the Avery forums as well as the Refuge OR forum over his trophy Dusky hunts.

The problem with "trophy" sea duck hunting is that some of the birds are not in full plumage until very late in the season.

There are small flocks of puddle ducks flying through PWS all fall. They can be found on the small tidal wetlands on some shores or in muskeg ponds on the islands. Catch as catch can with jump shooting and hours motoring in boats. Once you shoot the birds of the habitat you may never seen another bird come to that spot unless it has really good food.

In the spring along the Gulf Coast I have found spots where the teal, mallards, and wigeon had stipped the emerging sedges and water grasses down to the mud. In one week they were done with the food source and moved further west.

Default Evens Island

There are plenty of sea duck hunting opportunites in that area, but finding someone to go with on the weekend might be slim pickings. Not many people on the island save for the village of Chenega and the AFK hatchery. I lived there when I was a kid. I assume that you will be working at the hatchery?
    Last edited by ksbha4; 05-07-2009 at 01:48. Reason: more info

yea im working for the afk hatchery

Default Evens Island

If you're into trout fishing, there is a small, higher elevation lake just up the hill from the hatchery that has some good cutthroat trout fishing, not huge fish, but good eating. I don't know what access you'll have to the hatchery skiffs, but there is also good halibut/black seabass fishing in the area as well. There are a couple of lodges out there now at Port Ashton and just accross the bay at the old Vic Christopher site. I believe they do some guiding for fish, not sure about hunting. Check out this site for more info on guided services in the area. Port Ashton is about 1/4 mile from the hatchery. Have fun out there.
    www.portashtonlodge.com