Thread: Seward Black Bears from boat

Default Seward Black Bears from boat

My dad is in town and we were going to go for a trip to Whittier this weekend for a black bear. But it does not look like the road will be open, we are now going to go to seward and fish. Is there black bear hunting from a boat out of seward. Should I bring a gun and tools or just go fishing. Never been out of seward.

thanks for the supplies

Default Sure there is

Always thought ( for close by ) Day Harbor or Bear Glacier have done great fishing and seen bear a lot. Great fishing trip in a 16' Dory was catching a 90 butt in the tail, thought it was 300# in front of Bear Glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by unbwoodsmen View Post
    My dad is in town and we were going to go for a trip to Whittier this weekend for a black bear. But it does not look like the road will be open, we are now going to go to seward and fish. Is there black bear hunting from a boat out of seward. Should I bring a gun and tools or just go fishing. Never been out of seward.

thanks for the supplies
    I don't know anyone who does bear hunting out of Seward, but I suppose it could be done. Just be aware that the Kenai Fjords National Park boundary begins at Bear Glacier (west side of Ressurection Bay) and extends all the way to the west side of Nuka Bay. IE: pretty much all of Ressurrection Bay on that side would be off limits to bear hunting (or any kind of hunting). And there is private property in Humpy Cove on the other side. There's nothing to stop someone from going further out though...I have co-workers who hunt from a boat every year for deer on Montague Island in the fall. They always get their limit...

Marshall/Ak

Exclamation Whittier Access

You can still get Whittier if you want to go. Alaska Railroad is offering service to Whittier due to the slide. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Here is the link to the Alaska Railroad site on the service to Whittier.

http://alaskarailroad.com/arrc115.html

Default whittier

We can get to WHittier but cannot get the boat there. will probaly just fish

Smile

unbwoodsman: Plenty of black bear out of Seward starting in town and more bears the further you go out of town. True the right ride of the bay is national park after Bear Glacier. On the left side of the bay if you can round the point into day harbor they will really get thick. You might go for a hike on the way home and hunt Ptarmigan lake trail so the blackies wont hassle hikers like last year. You also could head up the Resurrection River trail from Seward and hike above the trees which is where the bears will be....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear