Thread: Ice rods for monsters?

Default Ice rods for monsters?

Have any of you guys ever used an ice fishing rod for a little backpacking rod or just a short day trip type rod i have friends who do here in colorado but thats for little fish. Do the real monsters up there fight too much to even think about using a rod like that? I just thought it would be fun to know about.

Default heavy ice rods

I built a few ice rods that I use for fishing big heavy lures for lake trout out of Batson solid fiberglass blanks. They are pretty much unbreakable, evein if you accidentally step on one. The ones I built are 43" long, and I fish them with small baitcasting reels. The rear handle is longer than most ice rods to provide more comfort and some relief for your wrist. They are fairly soft in the tip, yet have impressive power in the butt section. Some of the hooks I use for giant laker fishing are 6/0. These rods have NO trouble burying those hooks.

They'd work good for busting brush and I've caught silvers on them before. I've also caught lake trout through the ice on them to 40". Would I want to use them for kings? No. Could they withstand a fight with a 30 lb king? Yes. But the shortness of the rod would be a significant disadvantage for king fishing.

Now for brush busting on some of the small silver streams they work well. I'm not sure what you plan to fish for, but something like these might work for you.

The rod in the middle is solid glass. The other two are hollow graphite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    I built a few ice rods that I use for fishing big heavy lures for lake trout out of Batson solid fiberglass blanks. They are pretty much unbreakable, evein if you accidentally step on one. The ones I built are 43" long, and I fish them with small baitcasting reels. The rear handle is longer than most ice rods to provide more comfort and some relief for your wrist. They are fairly soft in the tip, yet have impressive power in the butt section. Some of the hooks I use for giant laker fishing are 6/0. These rods have NO trouble burying those hooks.

They'd work good for busting brush and I've caught silvers on them before. I've also caught lake trout through the ice on them to 40". Would I want to use them for kings? No. Could they withstand a fight with a 30 lb king? Yes. But the shortness of the rod would be a significant disadvantage for king fishing.

Now for brush busting on some of the small silver streams they work well. I'm not sure what you plan to fish for, but something like these might work for you.

The rod in the middle is solid glass. The other two are hollow graphite.

Nice!!!!
    I have also made a couple of laker rods from those blanks.
    They make really tough bullet proof ice rods.

If you can find one...

Bernie Keefe Laker Ice Rod, made by Eagle Claw. Mr. Keefe is a well accomplished lake trout guide and according to things I've seen he is on the Eagle Claw team. I found mine locally in Colorado, not sure where to get them from now. I did some searching on google and couldn't find anything. If you can find one, grab it and I think you'll like it for those bigger fish through the ice.

I used to fish Red Feather, Carter and Chambers with a cheap telescoping rod. Lasted for years.