Thread: Wrapping Kwik Fish

Default Wrapping Kwik Fish

Has anyone ever tried using the precut Gulp cut bait strips rather then herring or sardine strips.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod....44157&u=GSSTR3

My brother tried 'em without success last year
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Using the Nushagak (I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing about it already, but bear with me) as a great laboratory to know that fish are there and compare hook up rates per hour instead of days, I've systematically tried sardines, herring, (fresh and cured) and stinky jellies and even pieces of sponge with different oils doped on them.

Hands down a sardine wrap is the most effective. Head to head comparisons with Jellies, sponge wraps, and herring have all yielded the same result....one happy angler and one not so happy.(still hooked up but only 25 to 50 percent.

I've always liked the idea of finding an easier, cheaper way to do things and to break the myths that are in fishing...but I believe in this one as no myth....go sardines. Will you catch fish with other things....yes....will you catch as many.....no.

Also, had some fun comparing k15's and k16's....the 16's were hands down the best of the two....I stuck with 15's one day last year when the kings were running hot while my girlfriend ran the 16's of the same basic coloration....I tried everything to keep up...I long-lined her, I put myself on the shallower water of the edge so I knew I was in the sweet spot, switched colors....fresh plugs....doped with sardine oil...but at the end of the day it was 24 to 11 on the K16's....

Next day we both ran the same 16's and it was 18 to 20.

Some folks like to give me grief about even using bait on the Nush...but when there's a three week season and I only get 6-8 days of it...I'd use dynamite if they let me

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Using the Nushagak (I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing about it already, but bear with me) as a great laboratory to know that fish are there and compare hook up rates per hour instead of days, I've systematically tried sardines, herring, (fresh and cured) and stinky jellies and even pieces of sponge with different oils doped on them.

Hands down a sardine wrap is the most effective. Head to head comparisons with Jellies, sponge wraps, and herring have all yielded the same result....one happy angler and one not so happy.(still hooked up but only 25 to 50 percent.

I've always liked the idea of finding an easier, cheaper way to do things and to break the myths that are in fishing...but I believe in this one as no myth....go sardines. Will you catch fish with other things....yes....will you catch as many.....no.

Also, had some fun comparing k15's and k16's....the 16's were hands down the best of the two....I stuck with 15's one day last year when the kings were running hot while my girlfriend ran the 16's of the same basic coloration....I tried everything to keep up...I long-lined her, I put myself on the shallower water of the edge so I knew I was in the sweet spot, switched colors....fresh plugs....doped with sardine oil...but at the end of the day it was 24 to 11 on the K16's....

Next day we both ran the same 16's and it was 18 to 20.

Some folks like to give me grief about even using bait on the Nush...but when there's a three week season and I only get 6-8 days of it...I'd use dynamite if they let me
    Ive never used a sardine wrap how do you wrap it and does it work for other salmon such as silvers?

Default info

Catchit, that is info that is extremely valuable. Thanks for the input. I have also tried different baits to see if I could beat sardines. Nothing better for the Kenai or Kasilof. I will pre cut my strips, about two dozen, add a little sardine oil and salt. They stay tough and don't wash out so fast. I also use the invisible thread instead of the stretchy string. I have found you can really secure the wrap better without affecting the plug action.
    I even tried cured hooligan strips, figuring that is what they have been munching on in the saltwater. Forget it, get the best looking sardines you can find.

Well now I need to find sardines...I am fishing salmon on the great lakes and will be adding Kwik fish into my spread this year. I guess I can put one sardine and one Gulp out and see what happens. Oh the joy of running 3 lines per person...nothing like 9 lines out of a 17 foot boat...

Default where

can you pickup sardines at B&J's...here in Anchorage? I have always just gotten herring.....

A picture is worth a thousand words when talking about wrapping sardines on kwikfish...search the net or these forums and there should be some good stuff.

JTM9:
    Interesting about precutting and salting/marinating the chunks, I just keep my sardines frozen until on the river and even then they are on ice, I cut and wrap fresh plugs every two hours or so...unless the kings are really hammering...and usually dope every 20 minutes or every pull up, using sardine oil. (the stuff in the yellow bottle, Mikes?).

Funny about the hooligan, I have access to lots of smelt in Dillingham and was always curious about using those....I'll have to try another run of your experiment as this is the only sane option (except maybe bacon) that I haven't tried. I have noticed though that even though cured eggs seem to outperform raw eggs...it seems the opposite with wraps. My buddy (a very strong Nush king angler) was so impressed with his cured herring plugs that he sat there an entire evening while I went 12 to 3 on him using fresh/frozen sardines....he traded beer for sardines the next morning.

For backtrolling I've been quite happy with the stretchy string and don't even know what that invisible stuff is...please enlighten.

I believe he's talking about spider thread, which is also somewhat stretchy, but is of a much smaller diameter and almost transparent. I use it, as well as magic thread, which is a also a smaller diameter, but less transparent than spider thread.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    I also use the invisible thread instead of the stretchy string. I have found you can really secure the wrap better without affecting the plug action.
    I use regular old clear nylon thread readily available at any sewing store (hey, even the Soldotna Safeway!). That's probably the same thing these guys are talking about.

Yes, you actually have to finish it off with a real knot instead of the newer pull-stretch-N-break technique. A little more effort, but I like the cleaner, finished results better with the clear thread. Just old school, I guess.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD