Thread: McHugh/Rabbit Lake Trail

Default McHugh/Rabbit Lake Trail

Hi-

Has anyone ever went to Rabbit Lake via McHugh Creek as opposed to useing Mchugh trail? Ive been on the trail but havnt went all the way to the lakes nor have I seen the creek yet...I want to go the entire way this weekend and I was considering following the creek up but if its seated in a gorge that wouldnt be a good plan..

Any input on the trail would be great..Current pictures would really help..

Thanks

RS72

Default Stop Now...

I would advise against following the creek upward toward McHugh Creek trail and Rabbit Lake. I simply would not advise anybody to bust brush in the creek bottom when a perfectly good trail exists that will get you completely brush free and up on the slopes where the sun can burn off the snow, soon.

The trail is snow free for the first hour or hour-an-a-half of hiking. But when the trail levels off and heads back in the valley there is still a bunch of snow in the shaded areas and in all the little creek wrinkles.

If you want off-trail hiking, then I would reccommend using the trail for an hour, then going off-trail through the trees and brush straight up into the rocks on that south facing and snow-free slope overlooking the Seward Hwy. Usually several sheep and some good rams up in the rocks, or in the first valley on the right if you curl up high above the regular McHugh trail.

....just my opinion...depending on ones hiking goals...I would wait a few weeks to hike to the lake...

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Rucksack72 View Post
    Hi-

Has anyone ever went to Rabbit Lake via McHugh Creek as opposed to useing Mchugh trail? Ive been on the trail but havnt went all the way to the lakes nor have I seen the creek yet...I want to go the entire way this weekend and I was considering following the creek up but if its seated in a gorge that wouldnt be a good plan..

Any input on the trail would be great..Current pictures would really help..

Thanks

RS72
    Yes I've done it.
    Its a bad plan.

Its not bad for the first mile. But then it comes into a pretty good V Notch and the creek is High right now. Brushy. Deadfall everywhere. Not saving anytime thats for sure.

There is a brand new, still under construction trail, that is a whole lot lower down then the original. Hangs out on the steeps just above the creek. But it doesn't go very far right now.

Still snow as you get farther back, but the first part of the trail looks good. Greens popping and clear, not muddy.

How about starting the trail off Canyon Road? I've never done the trail but would like to try it next week. Anyone been on it lately? How much mileage could you get on it b4 hitting punchy snow or mud? Is it up/down most of the way or is there some level running? Thanks!

I hiked up to McHugh Peak via Bear Valley. Looking down onto Rabbit Creek I saw this. The left hand side of the photo is "below" Ptarmigan Peak. I hope it helps.

Default Rabbit Lake about 50% ice free - June 7

Hiked up from Canyon Road today. McHugh still mostly iced in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Rabbit Lake Ice Status

Hiked up Ptarmigan on Monday and looked down at the lake.... I'd estimate rabbit lake is about 50-55% ice-free. I'm sure every day of this warm weather makes a huge difference. Ptarmigan Tarn was only about 20-30% ice-free.

I just hiked in from the Canyon Rd parking lot. 1:40 going in 1:30 going out. For those that have never hiked this trail the first 2/3rds or so is a steady uphill hike on mostly gravel. A few spots have shallow water flowing across but overall the trail is in excellent shape. The lake is now almost completely ice free but has a thin ash layer covering the bottom. I'm sure it's not enough to effect the water quality and the water is very clear.

This is the second time I've had weather issues on this hike. I think whatever clouds/wind/rain is in the area is just drawn up the canyon. Next time I'm going on a sunny day and enjoying the scenery once back there.