Thread: Valdez Lings?

Default Valdez Lings?

I am headed down to Valdez the first or second week of July. I am interested in finding a charter that is more likely to target lings than halibut. Does anyone have any ideas of who I can go with? Or am I just as well off to get on a decent halibut charter and do my own thing looking for lings?

Default Lings

Most of the Charters that catch lings fish the Gulf of Alaska they are targeting halibut and the lings are just in the same area. My guess if you have 6 friends and charter the boat then you can spend all day fishing for lings or Halibut.

That is about what I figured. It is only going to be the wife and myself out over the week. If we get on a halibut charter and set up for lings do we stand a pretty decent chance? Is that going to be acceptable etiquette toward a captain and deck hands?

Default same

same rigs will be used on the whole boat - it really makes a mess if you try fishing different terminal tackle in deep water with strong tides.

the good thing is that the ling terminal tackle will be exactly the same as the halibut terminal tackle....lings are just as hungry as the halibut - I have reeled in a ling on one drop and a hali on the next - mixed bag....same with the yelloweyes.

If 1 person jigs, all should jig, if one person uses bait and heavy weights all should - less tangles.

Just spoke with Dan Eames...(No I'm not his agent)...he runs the http://www.seaclusionsaltwater.com/

When I was deer hunting w/him last fall we caught some big lings out near Montague Island. Give him a buzz.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    same rigs will be used on the whole boat - it really makes a mess if you try fishing different terminal tackle in deep water with strong tides.

the good thing is that the ling terminal tackle will be exactly the same as the halibut terminal tackle....lings are just as hungry as the halibut - I have reeled in a ling on one drop and a hali on the next - mixed bag....same with the yelloweyes.

If 1 person jigs, all should jig, if one person uses bait and heavy weights all should - less tangles.
    I always fish jigs on charters...most folks are using bait, but with a jig I just ride out a little past them with the tide (since I'm using way less than 2 or three pounds). The only time we get some tangles is when the tide slacks way up and everyone is almost straight down. Never had a captain say I couldn't use my jigging rod - then again, all the boats I fish one have one or several jigging setups themselves for the customers. It does take someone that's aware of his or her lighter tackle and the need to keep it away from the bait rods.

And, if you want lings, definitely use a jig....

The halibut will eat them, too, much more than a ling will eat bait.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Dittos my experience with jigging with other folks on the boat running bait. I've been the only one jigging on a charter, and have been on charters where there is a mix of folks dropping bait, and jigging. If anything the bait rigs seem to tangle up more as folks take longer to bring up the 4# cod sinkers.

Awesome information guys, thanks a ton. I'll definitely give Dan a call Tdelarm. Thanks a ton folks!

Default Give Mel a call.

Fished with Mel last year on recommendation from Orion because they were booked. First trip to Valdez, and I'll not look to fish with another Captain. I've got a little inside info that he "found" a few new Ling holes that were holding monsters & I'll be booking with him for a trip in early July to check them out.

FWIW - the boat fished bait except me, he "saw" that I was able to work a jig and let me have at it. Unfortunately, it was early June because I boated and released a dozen Ling estimated over 40 pounds with the big one being flat out UGLY huge!! All the while picking up more than my fair share of rockfish and halibut.

http://www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com/