Thread: Gulkana River downstream from Richardson Hwy. bridge

Default Gulkana River downstream from Richardson Hwy. bridge

Has anyone been on the Gulkana River downstream from the Richardson Hwy bridge to the confluence with the Copper River? Is it possible to take a smaller jet boat in this section launching at the bridge and taking out again at the bridge? Are there a lot of rocks/boulders? Thanks.

Default Some rocks....

The lower section below the bridge has a few rocks. It depends on the water level but I've floated it a few times and not had any problems. Never in a jet boat but I think it'd be alright. Watch out for the launch though... for a couple weeks after the ice goes out, its hard to get a boat in the water due to the monster blocks of ice puched up in the launch. They also moved a few large rocks around the launch area which makes it difficult. So, if you can get into the river I think you'll be fine.

Default Thanks

Where did you take out on your float?

Default Few places

There are a few places to take out along the copper river. The best place is Chitna, way to down river but you need a sizable jet boat to handle the copper river. (I have a co-worker that sunk a smaller 14' jet sled on the copper last year) There are several spots closer down the river like in Copperville, about 4 miles south of the tee in Glennallen left at the fire station and in Copper Center where the river comes right up to the road. The problem with a jet boat is there isn't really a launch to put a trailer in and get the boat out.

If you have a smaller jet boat, you'll be fine on the lower section of the Gulkana turning around then coming back upriver. Be careful if you plan on getting in the copper. It's braided, silty, and has lots of log jams.

Another consideration is that all the lands on each side of the Gulkana and Copper are Ahtna native owned. It being bear season, I kinda assume you might be on the lookout. Ahtna is pretty stingy with the predator permits this year. Check out this post: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=52557&highlight=ahtna

If you are just going for a cruise down the Gulkana and back- enjoy
    !