Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best Pack for Sheep Hunting?

Default Whats the best Pack for Sheep Hunting?

What packs are best suited for a Sheep hunt? What works and what doesn't? Here is what I have.

Option #1- A Swiss Gear external frame pack, came with a large bag to pack gear, nothing fancy.

Option #2- I have an older Dana Design internal frame pack, somewhere in the range of 5,200 cubic inches. This pack served me well packing out several Elk in MT but the terrain was not too steep and rocky, mostly walking forest service trails.

Option #3- I have a smaller CamelBak somewhere in the 2,800 cubic inch range I use for day hunts. It is big enough to pack enough for an overnight adventure if I wanted to stay high for a night.

My initial thoughts were to take the external frame and the smaller CamelBak. What do you guys think. Is there a much better system that I should consider buying?

Another area of concern is my sleeping bag, I have a North Face Goliath. It seems a little big for a sheep hunt. Any suggestions there?

Here is a photo of the packs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default which one?

Best pack out of what you have or the best pack out there period? 2 different questions. I don't have any experience with what you have, but I do have a Barney's pack...do a search for it, there have been dozens of postings...you won't be dissappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    What packs are best suited for a Sheep hunt? What works and what doesn't? Here is what I have.

Option #1- A Swiss Gear external frame pack, came with a large bag to pack gear, nothing fancy.

Option #2- I have an older Dana Design internal frame pack, somewhere in the range of 5,200 cubic inches. This pack served me well packing out several Elk in MT but the terrain was not too steep and rocky, mostly walking forest service trails.

Option #3- I have a smaller CamelBak somewhere in the 2,800 cubic inch range I use for day hunts. It is big enough to pack enough for an overnight adventure if I wanted to stay high for a night.

My initial thoughts were to take the external frame and the smaller CamelBak. What do you guys think. Is there a much better system that I should consider buying?

Another area of concern is my sleeping bag, I have a North Face Goliath. It seems a little big for a sheep hunt. Any suggestions there?

Here is a photo of the packs.

Default Packs

Sorry for the confusion, I would like to know what packs others use and think are the best suited for Sheep hunting. I have also listed what I currently have. I probably should not have listed them as Options as buying another is also an option.

I have been on several Bighorn Sheep hunts in MT and WY but we have always had horses so I have not used packs for several years.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at the Barney pack.

Default Ditto Barneys pack

For everything else and sheep.
    Last edited by trapperbob; 05-19-2010 at 21:45.

Default Gear thread

There is a good post in the gear thread about this. But it seems there are three really good ones that everyone mentions:

Barney's
    Mystery Ranch
    McHale & Company

I myself use the Cabelas' AK pack for moose, but didn't work great for the goat hunt I went on. Will probably be going w/a Mystery Ranch.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I'd take a hard look at that Dana pack of yours. If it's a Terraplane or Alpine model, chances are that it will tote your load as well as about anything, until you get up over 80 lbs or so. At that point an external will be advantageous, but a Terraplane or Alpine would still work. You'll have to strap a bunch of stuff to the outside of the pack if you shoot something, in all likelihood.

+1 on Barney's. You can add Kifaru Longhunter to the list if you prefer an internal.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default J104

I used this pack when I went in 07. It was guided, so I didn't have to bring as much gear as a DIY hunt. Great pack. Coming out from base camp, it was about 90 lbs which was probally on the upper end of what this pack will hold and still be half way comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i like my kifaru longhunter

For keeping your load light, check out the Go-Lite brand of packs, tents and bags.
    I can keep my load down to about 20lbs including rifle for a 2-3 day Sheep hunt. I use a Serratus (Canadian) pack that is built like a tank. Used to use a McHale, but i sold it as it was too big for most uses, although it was a great pack.
    I am a big fan of internal frame packs for Sheep hunts. External frame packs can break when you take a tumble, don't fit as well into tight quarters like planes, and snag on trees/brush. Lots of guys use them and love them though.
    I'd say keep using your Dana, one of the best packs made.
    My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    For keeping your load light, check out the Go-Lite brand of packs, tents and bags.
    My $.02
    I like much of golite's gear like their tents and sleeping bags, however, their packs simply are not desinged to haul a whole camp plus a sheep. It will be extremely uncomfortable. However, they are affordable, but I'd rather opt for a Kelty Tioga external frame for cheaper before I would a GoLite pack. Simply because it will haul the load better. However there are internals that will better haul that wait that may be worth checking out as well.

Which pack? The biggest, best external frame pack you and carry and afford. Personally the Barney's packs are nice but at those prices it should be carrying me! I made my big game pack and will be making another this year to take care of some of the problems I had with it last year. I should end up with a pack that preforms at least as well as the Barney's pack for about $100! There are photos of last years pack in the gear section.

As to the ones you have I used to use a Danna. The Danna is an awesome hiking pack but a complete nightmare to pack meat in and not much better than nothing when you have too pack meat and enough gear for a week or more. Your external frame pack, if it's of decent quality, would be my pick.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Since 1987, 1 to 3 sheep hunts a year, all except one horse back hunt have been backpack: Barney's since '87 and still my favorite.

This http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stra...ed-P21C19.aspx
    might be a good option as well. You could carry your camp gear in a waterproof stuffsack at the bottom, and load it up as required.
    From my own experiance, i have never had a problem packing meat in an internal frame, but i have always chosen a very large volume, wide bodied pack. For sure some of the narrower internals would absolutely suck for packing meat.
    I think i might order up one of those Flatbeds, i am intrigued by the possibilities.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd go with the external frame pack you have.

You'd have more options for tying things on.

A single compartment bag is best.

As has been mentioned, bigger is better. It gives you more options.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Eberlestock Just One backpack, the world's best hunting pack
    www.eberlestock.com/Just One.htm

I've sold a number of Barney's packs to sheep hunters in the last few weeks. Had one genetleman with a Kifaru last week tell me when it wears out he's buying a Barney's. Not saying there's nothing else just an aweful good pack especially on the way down loaded!

PS I don't get commission.

Default Mystery Ranch

I'd check out Mystery Ranch packs. I've never used mine on a sheep hunt but it has treated me well on moose hunts. I think someone mentioned it earlier but they are made by the guy who started Dana Designs. They have a line of packs made specifically for hunters. They use a frame and a separate bag. In my opinion, they possess the best of internal and external frames: they are comfortable and don't move around when you're scrambling/climbing through alders but carry HEAVY and awkward loads well. Bad part is they're not cheap. I think mine is worth every penny though.

alaska range packs seem to be real good too

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-diuck View Post
    I'd check out Mystery Ranch packs. I've never used mine on a sheep hunt but it has treated me well on moose hunts. I think someone mentioned it earlier but they are made by the guy who started Dana Designs. They have a line of packs made specifically for hunters. They use a frame and a separate bag. In my opinion, they possess the best of internal and external frames: they are comfortable and don't move around when you're scrambling/climbing through alders but carry HEAVY and awkward loads well. Bad part is they're not cheap. I think mine is worth every penny though.
    Thanks for the heads up on these, i didn't know he was still involved in pack design.
    Having looked at the website, i would look long and hard at these units. His stuff is so well designed and built, that anything Dana does that is purpose built for hunting will be amazing. If i was in the market, i would shell out for one of his NICE series packs in a second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast