Thread: Best Route to Igiugig (PAIG)

Default Best Route to Igiugig (PAIG)

I'm planning to fly to Igiugig in the next two weeks for the first time. What are the best (safest) routes to fly there from Anchorage? I'll be flying a 182.

Jeff

Default thom2249

Anchorage/Big River Lakes/Lake Clark Pass/Port Allsworth/north shore of Illiamina to the end of the lake. Look to your left and at the out let-Quichak River you'll find Igiugig OR

Follow the west shoreline of Cook Inlet to Pile Bay Pass / Williamsport Rd that goes from Illiamina to Cook Inlet. Just past Inniskin Bay.

Follow the south shoreline of Illiamina to the end of the lake at the out let of the Quichak and under your left wing will be the Igiugig strip.

You can check the FAA web-cams for your destination. I made that trip 100's of times as an air taxi. In July the river and lake is full of Reds.

Fly safe.

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that there was a road from Illiamna to Cook inlet.

Default thom2249

The road was used to haul fishing boats to the lake and then down the Quichak to Bristol Bay as well as local boats and "stuff". If you've been following Pebble Mine issue you will note that this road will be upgraded and will become the main supply route, both ways, for the mine. You need about 1000' to clear the pass and many times it's clear on both sides but a cloud settles in on the summit.

If the pass is closed you can continue down the coast and fly through Bruin Bay. 300' will allow you through safely. You hit the lake about mid way.

Default the best route is ....

Lake Clark pass down the west side of lake Clark and to the west end of Illiamina. About a 1.7 in the 182. You can get fuel at Iliamina or Port Allsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBrowning View Post
    I'm planning to fly to Igiugig in the next two weeks for the first time. What are the best (safest) routes to fly there from Anchorage? I'll be flying a 182.

Jeff

Punch the coordinates into the GPS and go direct at about 9K.

I too have flown that route in the 100's of times, and if the weather decent, I would fly the pass at about 1500-2500'. Follow the Tlikikila River all the way out, staying TO the right, never TURNING right. Near the west end you'll see the pass forks, with Little Lake Clark to the left side of the mountain known as Wilton's Hilton, the river flowing to the right side. The right side is the preferred single engine route, as it offers some gravel bars just in case. West to the end of Lake Clark, south past Iliamna (remember there control zone), west to the drainy end of the lake.

Flying high is the fastest way, but if you ever need to fly the pass it is way more comforting having done it good conditions. It's a beautiful trip, I had many a client say that the flight out was worth their entire vacation. That was until they ripped into some big fish!

If the winds are howling careful going through Bruin Bay. Sometimes it just isn't worth the beating. It is possible to get into the wrong drainage going into the pass from Anchorage side, so GPS the entrance. The narrows are narrow, if it is low call out just before going through. There is a webcam that will show you if you want to be there. If you haven't been in before and the weather is down it is a good idea to wait for some better weather. Sometimes it can be confusing when it gets low.

I'll second the Bruin Bay comment - fastest ground speed I have ever seen in a Beaver. And when I had to turn around and go back to Lake Illiamna I could have walked faster. It looks short, and it looks low, but if the wind is blowing and the clouds are low you are better off staying out of there.