Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the laws on permanent baiting stands?

Default What are the laws on permanent baiting stands?

I find them all the time.

Default ....

Everything to include your tree stand should be removed on the last day and not put up till the first day. I find them a lot to but people play by the rules they want to. I would guess that the ones you and I find where never registered to begin with. Itís the people that do that are the first to cry if someone dos something they donít like though. I feel sorry for them if they ever get caught.

What about the stands that are multipurpose, such as moose hunting or predator calling?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default ....

I could see finding them but the ones I find have bear bait stand signs around themÖ. I would assume someone could pull that card about it being used for other things but I donít know how fish and game would take it. On page 28 it tells me I must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station sight when hunting is completedÖ. Dos not really bother me if the stuff is out there just as long as it is clean and dos not look like crap. The ones that let everything be a mess are the ones that give people that donít like hunting a reason to cry.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

whats the law on setting up long term camps? people still do it and that is the next season of complaints on the way...

end of June? early July? those issues will come back up?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have found two story tree houses, with old mattress and with a swivel office chair on the roof. plus three bait barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    I would assume someone could pull that card about it being used for other things but I don’t know how fish and game would take it.
    Actually, we have two that we have as multi-use stands. They are located on a swamp just for that very purpose and they are quite legal. I can say though that we had never left our place a mess. We did find that one year we didn't use the stand for baiting and someone else had, they had thrown their garbage allover the place, including old nasty plastic gloves, soda cans, old food containers, etc. It was a whole lot easier to clean it up than to witch about it.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Actually, we have two that we have as multi-use stands. They are located on a swamp just for that very purpose and they are quite legal. I can say though that we had never left our place a mess. We did find that one year we didn't use the stand for baiting and someone else had, they had thrown their garbage allover the place, including old nasty plastic gloves, soda cans, old food containers, etc. It was a whole lot easier to clean it up than to witch about it.

I take it; NO dog pee on the ground?????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Actually, we have two that we have as multi-use stands. They are located on a swamp just for that very purpose and they are quite legal.
    Probably not. It is my understanding that permanent stands are not legal if not removed at the end of the season. However, bear baiting stands that are built and remain in place for the entire bear baiting season obviously are in conflict with the DNR fact sheet below and as spelled out in Alaska statute 11 AAC 96.020

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

Setting up and using a camp
    for personal, noncommercial recreational purposes, or for any nonrecreational purpose (such as a support camp during mineral exploration), for no more than 14 days at one site, using a tent platform or other temporary structure that can readily be dismantled and removed, or a floathouse that can readily be moved. Moving the entire camp at least two miles starts a new 14day period. Cabins or other permanent improvements are not allowed,even if they are on skids or another nonpermanentfoundation.

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have had this ruled on by fish and game. Tree stands do not have to be removed but everything else does including bait barrels.

Default hummm..

I guess its one of thows things that it depends on the person your talking to....

Simply stated it is not a fish and feathers issue, they have no jurisdiction over the allowed uses on public land. In short if you are on state land then no you cannot erect any permanent structure without a permit and there is almost zero chance of you getting a permit for a tree stand (or any structure for that matter). If you are on private land with permission of the land owner then by all means erect your tree stand, make it 300 square feet and multiple stories with a flush toilet if you want. In that case you only need to comply with the Fish and wildlife requirement to clean the baiting equipment up. I don't know how much clearer that this issue could be.

From the fish and wildlife bear bating faq: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ing.treestands

Regulation 5 AAC 92.044(b)(10) requires that a bear baiting permittee remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed. The issue of the actual stand structure itself is a sensitive one, and it’s important that you understand the policies and laws that have been enacted on this subject and their intent. The bottom line is you must have the landowner’s or land management agency’s permission to construct or permanently affix a tree stand on their lands. The Alaska Board of Game has stated its intent that bear baiting sites be "temporary establishments." This is to help avoid negative perceptions of bear baiting by non bear-baiters, including hunters who don’t support the practice. Many members of the public would agree that no hunter or other outdoor user has the right to stake long-term claims to a site on state or federal lands. Besides being unsightly, unused or abandoned stands can also pose a safety concern.
    Under state regulation 11 AAC 96.020(a)(4), cabins or other permanent improvements on state-owned public domain land are not allowed. In fact, on such lands, permanent structures are not allowed for any reason without a permit issued by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources.
    I don't see how this could be any more black and white! There is no gray area here but I did go ahead and Bold the important points. It is not your land, it is not your tree, don't nail your junk to it, If you do construct a temporary platform put in the work to take it back down and haul it out or safely burn it on site as that is specifically an allowed use on public land.

The point I am getting at is you will get a ticket for not cleaning up a bait site but you will not get a ticket for not taking a stand down. There are moose stands all over public land and there have been for years. That is the reason I was given by fish and game that you do not have to take your stand down, because they can not say it might not be used for other types of hunting. There are tree stands, airstrips, caches all over this state that no one is getting in trounle for. A permanent camp or cabin is a different mater. I was only trying to give people on this forum what fish and games take was on tree stands, after all they are the ones giving out the tickets.

My point is simply that the construction of a structure on state land is not a fish and game issue. It is a DNR issue and you can and in my opinion probably should be ticketed for building a structure on state land without proper permitting. I don't know why a fish and game person would tell you this when they specifically publish the opposite on the website (see link above)!

I understand your point, I know that people have been hanging trash in the trees all over this state for many years. That does not make it legal no matter how much some people want to justify it. It has been specifically stated in the same FAQ anyone illegally constructing a structure on state land certainly shouldn't get some long standing "right" to use that location as their private hunting ground. It is public land!

To those that continue to build permanent elevated hunting platforms: Please stop nailing your junk into our trees and leaving it. It is unsightly, potentially dangerous, AND AGAINST THE LAW! If you do not like the law feel free to fight it. I encourage you to introduce a bill that makes it a generally allowed use of state land. If that were to occur then I will certainly be amongst the first in line at Spenards to to pick up a piece of plywood and a few 2x4s. I know a great place for a stand where I hunt and it would be a lot cheaper than buying a tree lounge.

Everyone who legally baits, has a permit, and therefore has taken the bear bait class in some form or another...which outlines what you can and can't built for a stand. If it's nailed or screwed..it's considered permanent. Those that choose to do otherwise, well they know what they're doing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Tree Stands

LuJon is correct. You must get permission from the land owner or agency that controls the land. On page 8 of the hunting regs they have listed phone numbers for most of the major landholders in Alaska. Fish and Game is mainly concerned that all bait or anything that would still draw in a bear be removed by the last day of the baiting season.

Default Stands

+2 for Lujon. When I worked for DNR this was an issue I specifically dealt with. It's a finable offense and on occasion I had the task of trespassing and then removing or burning structures like this.

The same for long term camps. You are only allowed to stay in one spot for 14 days and then must move.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Everyone who legally baits, has a permit, and therefore has taken the bear bait class in some form or another...which outlines what you can and can't built for a stand. If it's nailed or screwed..it's considered permanent. Those that choose to do otherwise, well they know what they're doing.

Really? i have to take a class to bait in 20 A... oh .... wait.. no i don't there are only a few sub/units that require the class...

and my stands are nailed screwed, chainsawed, been up for years. prolly put a roof on one this year. top the tree so it dies. and the stand last longer.

i will be setting up moose camp this next month too... prolly leave it up till OCT again like the last few years.

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

YEAH, and, and, you need to buy a permit for cutting a Christmas Tree, on State Land, too.

You see, if we let every family, cut down one of our precious, State Owned, spruce trees, each Christmas, assuming they would FIND a suitable one, it would,,,,, Well, I guess it wouldn't make much difference. No Matter. Obey the Regulations, and Pay UP.

I've ran across a cupla Permanent Tree Stands, at least. They were great. One was really neat.

I never considered them "Trash". I see no reason for discouraging them, other than to discourage hunting, but of course, we cawn't allow people to run around unregulated, now can we?

Besides, people in Tree Stands, tend to look down on things, and that's uncomfortable for some people. Especially some Gov'munt Peoples.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For people baiting bears in unit 16 where they are begging you to kill some bears, space limits flying tree stands around. I have a hard time believing anyone cares if you cut some poles and nail them between 2 trees then cut some more for a platform to shoot from. This is the way people have hunted for years. I spotted a huge black bear from the air last week and landed and snowshoed over to it and killed it, carried out the hide and skull and came home. This is legal in 16 and putting poles in a tree is not? If this is the case they need to turn the whole state into a park so they don't have to worry about getting rid of black bears so we have some moose to hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast