A few months back I decided to get into boolit casting. I started reading and visiting castboolits forums and started collecting wheel weights and also got a hold of a linotype pig. Today I rendered my first batch of ww's and dropped some lead muffins
Here's my first setup. I tried the MSR XGK which puts out about 10000 btu's. Well, problem was the flame/heat is to concentrated, does not heat the entire bottom of the pot and I ended up with about 45lbs of mush with about a six inch puddle of molten lead in the middle. I bagged that setup and broke out the ol' reliable, a Sears version of a Coleman stove that I bought used 17 years ago for 10 bucks. It's seen it's share of Moose Hunting camps over the years and just keeps on tickin! I put a heavy duty cast iron grate over the top of the existing one and it was real solid. I didn't take a picture of it but the old stove melted that 45lb hunk of solid lead in that enameled steel pot about 20 minutes I think. I didn't time it but is sure was quick I thought.
Well, I decided to try the cast iron frying pan that I scored dumpster diving. It worked like a champ. I think it took about 15-20 min or so to melt down about 45 lbs of lead to where I could skim the clips. After dipping most of the lead I could pick it up and easily pour the last 3 or so. It's an old one with a real stout handle. I scored the muffin tins dumpster divin as well, one was good and rusted and dropped the muffins real nice. The other one isn't quite as rusted and a couple stuck on my first batch. I had to employ a few forced extraction techniques but managed to not destroy the whole pan in the process. Only one tin