Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No 4 wheelers question

Default No 4 wheelers question

This question is completely hypothetical. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about the subject and what does everyone think the final outcome would be if it was illegal to use 4 wheelers to hunt in Alaska? I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest and am not suggesting that they should be. This weekend I hunted a trail that did not allow 4 wheelers and saw a lot more wildlife than I see in areas that 4 wheelers are allowed to get into. It just got me thinking that is all, and I wanted to get some opinions on it.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default 4 wheelers and game

Well, I see a ton of 4 wheeler use for hunting/recreating where I hunt. I don't personally have one, but have seen the amount of younger animals and dumber ones decrease in areas because the of wheeler use. So the population of game can go down in easy access atv areas. It makes the big old wise critters get smarter too and start acting like whitetails and coyotes down south, with peak activity becoming even more pronounced in the low light hours.

I get a tremendous sense of satisfaction from being a foothunter, hunting as close to my physical limits as possible. Plus it is good incentive to train to be ready for anything, thus promoting good health and active living. IF atvs were made illegal or more limited in use for hunting, a lot less people would get animals and populations would blossom or in some cases exceed the carrying capacity of the land. A survival of the fittest agenda would reign and I can say I support that greatly in most cases.

Do you mean a non motorized Alaska? Or just no 4 wheelers?

If you think some animals can't live around vehicule noise, just look around
    Los Anchorage, Moose,,, black& brown bears, in and around the area. wolves, foxes etc, in and around the outskirts of L A.

I access places using my ATV and I hunt places that I can only access from foot. Some of the places i access using my ATV are a ten mile trip. Without my ATV I would not hunt those areas but those with aircraft could. If ATV were banned there would be a lot more people hunting the same place. There are places in AK that using an ATV for hunting purposes is strictly prohibited. If you want areas without ATV's, hunt those areas.

I like ATV use areas. I do own atv's. I usuall just get off the trail and wait. most folks on ATV's are to lazy to get off there machines (we all see them) and they buzz up and down the trail. they sorta push the animals towards me. I'm only a bear hunter.

4 wheelers are great if used as a tool, you still usually got to get off them and put in footowork to get the mission accomplished.

Case in point, I usually head up to alascom towers (unit 13, sheep mtn area) at the end of moose season for bear. I havent conncected with a bear there yet but I hear everybody at the campsites say how there is no moose in the area. I dont know about them but I see alot of legal moose running around. I just laugh.

Post no wheeler here

I do not have a 4 wheeler either. I drive my truck as far as I can drive it in and then hike the rest of the way, that is until my wife allows me to finally get one. Having a wheeler would make life easier for hauling in bait and animal out, and would help me get to where I want to be quicker than hiking it. they both have pros and cons.

No roads often equals more game, as less traffic, less "Hunters" and therefore less pressure on those animals.

Hunting is not always a sort of "recreation", its often a nessesity.

In most villages, people own 4wheelers, in lue of trucks, localy they are all called "Hondas", no matter the manufacturer....
    We dont get to play with sporting stuff like trucks or cars (LOL!),and most people out here dont have extr***** for such toys, and most villages have no roads anyway.

Is anyone on this board from Anuktuvik villages? They cant hunt with them on the fed lands, and what became Bering Land Bridge International Park nolonger allows ATVs as well, and that put off alot of local users in Deering. Big ass sign says "NO ATV's beyond this point. Violators will be procecuted."

Ever carry your Caribou or Bear 20 miles to your access point?

That would make things hard for those who depend on them.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

To me the wheeler is simply a tool. I use it to access hunting areas, haul in me and my gear, and then me , my gear, and my meat out! For instance when I am moose hunting , once I get to where I hunt via wheeler (which by the way is about 25 miles off the road system) I then do not usually even start my wheeler up unless we are going to load meat back to camp. ATV's are a tool that is invaluable to hunt up here, if we had lots of logging roads or any additional access for a highway vehicle we might not need em as much, but with a state the size of 4 Rocky Mountain states in the US and only 3 highways, most of Alaska is unattainable without the use of ATV's, River Boats, Snowmachines, and Planes!

I did a horse hunt last year, the calories and cash expended make horses unsustainable as a subsistence hunting tool. Atv's are most bang for the buck Subsistance hunting tool.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Ever carry your Caribou or Bear 20 miles to your access point?
    Quote Originally Posted by AKdeerslayer View Post
    A survival of the fittest agenda would reign and I can say I support that greatly in most cases.
    I believe that moose hunting in most places beyond 5-10 miles of access points(depending on terrian and boat access) would be almost none exsistant other than with airplanes. While I do enjoy backpack hunting and pushing myself to the physical limit as much as the next guy, it is simply not feesable to kill a moose beyond 5 miles for most(myself included) and haul it back to the boat, road, or home. However, it can be done if conditions are right I am sure and you have the time to hike 30-40 miles half of which with 100 lbs on your back. That would take A LOT of time and most do not have the time to be able to commit to such an undertaking. Also you may end up losing the meat to either a bear/wolves/birds, spoilage (in warm weather), or simply having folks leaving meat in the woods.

As others have said in this thread, wheelers are simple a tool or means to an end to get you and your gear to your hunting area in which you begin to look for moose. I'd be willing to bet if they knocked out ATV use in AK all together you'd see the prices of planes jump.

Sorry for not stating it earlier. I mean just 4 wheelers on public land.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

and just once again to clarify I am advocating the removal of 4 wheelers from public land in Alaska. I do not own one and do most of my hunting on foot but I have used them and have no problem using them or with anyone out there that does use them.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    and just once again to clarify I am advocating the removal of 4 wheelers from public land in Alaska. I do not own one and do most of my hunting on foot but I have used them and have no problem using them or with anyone out there that does use them.
    You mean your are NOT adovacting for removal??

Default Oops

Should have proof read. I am NOT advocating..........

"what does everyone think the final outcome would be if it was illegal to use 4 wheelers to hunt in Alaska?"
    With all the other comments aside, there would be 2 choices. Either folks would cry, moan, wail, and work themselves into a frenzy, or they would shrug their shoulders, grab their gear, and go hunting. I'd go hunting.
    What did guys do 50 years ago? Maybe there were a few track rigs. How about 100? Maybe a couple of modified Model T Fords. People either find a way to be successful or they go about doing something else. Nobody ever said it was supposed to be easy.
    Does restricting motorized access in some areas of AK make sense? Personally I think so. And I would support those regulations even if it meant my hunting area was affected.
    Your question was not about recreation, sustainability, or subsistence. Simply it seems to be directed at what would happen if things changed. I do find it interesting that some people seem to try to support their current activities as a means to an end.

I think things are just fine the way they are now. If you don't like them go where they aren't and don't think that all who use them are wimps. Who says you can't get off your 4wheeler and hunt just as hard as someone who just got off a plane or out of a pickup? There's plenty out there for everyone.

I encourage anyone who doesn't like ATVs to hunt on foot. From their own doorstep! Just like it was done 50 years ago when there was hardly a road available to travel in the winter. Of course 50 years ago there was a much more liberal season for hunting as well as far less competition. I hunt mostly on foot and I do like the non motorized areas but honestly more than enough of the state is already non motorized.

I have walked trails that are heavily traveled w/ ATV's and seen tons of game. Back at the trail head I talked to a bunch of the ATV riders and they all said they didn't see a single animal

Like the guys above I use my ATV as transportation to get to where I hunt. It is by far the most economical means for that this state has to offer. Sleds are number 2 and if you can restrain yourself and buy an older boat or canoe then they are also a viable option. Rafts are great but you are limited unless you want to pay to be dropped somewhere.

Arky,
    Good subject for a Thread for sure. I dont own a four wheeler, I have access to one whenever i would like, but for the most part when ever i go hunting with my family or friends that have them, I end up walking behind them and guess who sees the most game and has a pretty darn full freezer .

I agree with most on here, i use them to get where i want to get and then start hiking. Do i think they should be outlawed? Not really sure. I think you would probably see less hunters and possiably more game. I disagree a little on the comment about noise, the moose around Anchorage have grown up with contact with people and cars as a part of thier daily lives, Moose out in the brush haven't. most of the moose and Caribou i have seen in the backcountry were on the move as soon as they heard me or someone elses 4 wheeler. We have an area that we hunted lat fall pretty heavily, tons of moose sign everywhere, we would go in early morning on wheelers and we would never see a thing. One morning we ditched the wheelers at camp and walking into our area and BLAM, big bull down.

I think it is pretty obvious that those who don't own an ATV would prefer that no one else use an ATV for hunting. But if that becomes the rule, expect to have a crowd of hunters hunting beside you because they will be unable to spread out over vast territory as they can now.

Default go for it

Good thought for a thread. I don't own an ATV right now, probably won't for a while. I've hunted all of my life on foot down in the lower 48. I used an ATV for the first time up here last year. Other than that I hunt on foot. I'll continue to hunt on foot. I don't have a problem with you folks who can afford to hunt on ATV's. I'm glad to be by myself in silence with the ATV guys off in the distance. Should they be illegal, nah, I don't think so. It's a huge land and we don't want to be hunting shoulder to shoulder like opening day of whitetail season anywhere in the lower 48.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast