Thread: 1911 crushing case mouth on ejecting

Default 1911 crushing case mouth on ejecting

My 1911 is crushing the casemouths on eject. Amazingly enough they are fully ejecting, although stright into your face. What Im finding is that the Full length guide rod (you know the solid 2 piece rod that screws together) is working itself loose after a few rounds. The first couple of shots the brass is fine but then they get battered.

Tinkering with the gun I dont see what affect that guide rod has. Even with the half completly out it does not seem that the pistol is loose or anything.

I guess I can try Blue loctiting the thing and see what happens then, but untill then I will troll for other ideas that might be the cause.

Also Id like to get rid of that thing completly. it makes reassembley harder and I dont think I need it. My very reliable Dan Wesson 10mm just had a normall spring and tube. I wonder if I can swap it out with out further modification? I dont see why not.

Sounds like a too heavy recoil spring, very light loads or a combination of the two. I've had this happen before when using heavy springs in a 1911 and then shooting light loads. If it's a standard 1911 pattern replacing the recoil assembly should be a drop in deal. The rod getting loose could be causing the slide to bind. This would result in the same effect as a very heavy spring and cause the slide to hit the case before it can eject.

Well I chrono'd the loads at the same time. 1200 FPS with 200 grain bullets. They should be able to work a stout spring. Must be that guide rod being loose

Sounds like an extractor/ejector problem to me. I could try to explain it, but I would totally screw you up. Go over to 1911 forum http://forums.1911forum.com/. There is more information on 1911s than anywhere else I have found. These guys LIVE and BREATHE 1911s.

You've just listed the main reason for lowering the ejection port on 1911s. Any competent gunsmith can alter this for you but, have them flair it on the back end also.
    Steve

You've just listed the main reason for lowering the ejection port on 1911s. Here's a pic of the gun Richard Heinie built for me, notice the ejection port area, it keeps the brass from being bent as you describe. IPSC shooters have know this for years even decades.

Steve