Thread: Going from Full length Guide rod to standard one in 1911

Default Going from Full length Guide rod to standard one in 1911

My 1911 has a two piece solid guide rod in it. I hate it.

Can I just put in a normal spring and tube one in it?

Default Probably

Probably - if your 1911 is fairly standard. There is a 'reverse plug' that is used with some configurations, but in general if your 1911 has a bushing then you will probably be able to swap to a standard guide rod.

With the full lenght rod your plug has a hole for the rod to go through. On the two piece set ups I have seen folks just remove the front half of the rod and shoot the gun like a standard rod gun.I like the full rod for control of spring movement

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    My 1911 has a two piece solid guide rod in it. I hate it.

Can I just put in a normal spring and tube one in it?

No you'll need a standard spring guide, the short stubby one. You can probably use the front plug even though it has a hole in it, the standard lug would not have a hole.

Why do you hate the long, solid guide rod? I assume this one is full length, meaning it sticks out the front end when the slide is cycled.

My guess is that you are taking the gun apart the wrong way. To disassemble a 1911 with a full length guide rod, just remove the slide stop pin and take the top half off. Slide it forward and hold the spring with your hand as pull it off. Then take the rod and spring rearward past the barrel link (lay it down). Then remove the bushing and barel as needed. Reverse the procedure to assemble. If your two piece rod is one that has a screw slot on the front end, ignore that and do above disassembly. If your two piece rod unscrews on you while shooting, take it apart and clean oil from the threads with acetone or similar and put a drop of locktite 242 on it, screw it together tight and set over night. All this will apply to just about all of the long guide rods in the 1911.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?