Thread: sustenence fishing

Default sustenence fishing

where are good places for sustenence fishing in the achorage/mat-su areas?

Do you mean subistance fishing? I know the terminology can get confusing, but there are basically three types of non commercial fisheries. There is sport fishing, your typical rod and reel fishing, personal use fishing, typically dipnetting, fish wheels and gillnetting, and then there is subsistance fishing. Subsistance fisheries are typically only open to "rural" residents. I won't get into the rural/urban debate, but suffice to say, if you are on the road system, you don't qualify for the subsistance fisheries.

For the personal use fisheries, the closest is the hooligan fishery on turnagain arm, which should be picking up by this weekend. I've never dipped for hooligan, but might have to give it a go this year.

For salmon there is the Copper River dipnet fishery around Chitina. It's a long drive, and there are some access issues, but it is worth it if you time the run. I haven't dipped there since the land slide made it a 4 wheeler or boat option to get down the canyon.

The other option is Kenai/Kasilof. I've dipped that for years now and it's another good fishery. Again, timing is everyting. I've fished for 3 hours and gotten 65 fish, fished for 6 hours and got 2 fish.

A wize person once said ""Subsistance" is a poor word for a wonderfull way of life."

Have fun.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

And just remember that the personal use salmon fisheries are for Alaska residents only....don't want to get busted on the Copper or Kenai or Kasilof. Anyone with a sportfishing license can dip net hooligan.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    And just remember that the personal use salmon fisheries are for Alaska residents only....don't want to get busted on the Copper or Kenai or Kasilof. Anyone with a sportfishing license can dip net hooligan.
    Must have been an Alaska resident for 12 months I think it is. You are an Alaska resident as soon as you say you are and chang your address.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default sustenance

Sustenance... fish to eat? Any of the lakes inthe Valley are great right now for rod and reel "sustnenance" fishing. If its stocked, you can keep 5 rainbows. Only one may be 20" or greater, and that one must be recorded on the license. If its a wild lake, meaning unstocked, keep 2 rainbows, only one over 20". Landlocked salmon, dollies and grayling can also be kept. Only exceptions are Long Lake in Kepler bradley complex, and x lake in Talkeetna, which are hook and release only.

As to Alaska resident or not: you are a resident of the state of Alaska for fishing license and PFD purposes once you have actually resided in the state for 12 months straight, minus a few small exceptions for travel. During that time you can not declare residency in another state. An Alaska drivers license and address does NOT qualify you for Alaska residency!