Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of 22 ammo

Default Price of 22 ammo

I was in Chimo Guns yesterday. They were selling a brick of Federal for $40 Is this the current price, a mistake or a rip off?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLeadBullets View Post
    I was in Chimo Guns yesterday. They were selling a brick of Federal for $40 Is this the current price, a mistake or a rip off?

Depends on what Federal ammo you saw, I have paid $40 for the Federal Gold Medal Target load per brick.

Angry

Just check the price of there ARs,they have jacked there prices

I was in the lower 48 last month and picked up a brick of Federals for $11.00. Guess I'll pick up more this Summer.

Saw them for $35 in GNG yesterday. Paid $14 for them in Juneau 2 weeks ago.

Default Walmark about $13.00

As bad as I hate that place I did buy a lot of 22 shells there. If in Anchorage, and they don't have any let me know.

Most of the stores in Anchorage have been out of the usual HV stuff for about three weeks. I bought a brick of Federal at A.C. for 20. A week later the same thing was 37 at GNG. When I ask the department stores about their delivery days they say all bets are off; their scheduled deliveries aren't happening. I have started imposing weekly limits on myself at the range to keep from running out.

Default group buy

Does anybody here have a contact where we could do a group buy from VF Grace or some other supplier?

I don't think VF Grace is going to be any help. They are out too and having a hard time getting ammo in according to a friend that works there. I had my dad buy me a case of 22 in North Idaho about a month ago for $14 a brick. They had stacks of it, went back yesterday and everything was almost gone with a sign 2 bricks per person due to national shortage, No idea when next shipment will arrive. These are scary times for our country.

Default 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by ak_sierra View Post
    Does anybody here have a contact where we could do a group buy from VF Grace or some other supplier?
    CMP ship you a case of 22LR SV Aguila. Shoots good.

see the CMP web page. You have to comply with their rules, but it is not difficult.

Comes right to your house FEDEX. They are a bit behind right now, but my last order recently arrived after baout a month.

Chimo's, supply and demand says it all. Where else to buy ammo in the valley, sportsmans warehouse, walmart. I say got to drive to anchorage to get a deal of any kind. Also had my name on a waiting list for powder and THEY BLEW OFF THEIR LIST
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default No more Chimo's for me

I prefer to give my business to the locally-owned gun stores. After you visit enough and they accept that you are actually interested in guns and hunting and not just a poseur, you can usually get better deals on trades/purchases and sometimes you hear some funny stories. Not only that, but it does me good to know my money is staying local. I had a great relationship with Down Under Guns before I left Fairbanks in '03, and I tried to start a new one with Chimo's when I moved to Wasilla in '07. I bought a 500 S&W and accessories, a pistol for the wife, ammo, etc, etc. The prices were a bit higher than I could find at Wallyworld or Sportsman's, but they were local so I didn't mind. While I was deployed this last trip to Iraq, my wife ordered a rifle for me (she's thoughtful like that ) and had Chimo's do the transfer. They charged her $75!

If I ever step foot into their store again, it will be to tell them they've forever lost my business by taking advantage of someone who didn't know better. I believe a combination of decent customer service with fair prices will always pay dividends in the long-run. This apparent price-gouging just reaffirms for me that Chimo's has chosen to go a different route, to the detriment of all gun enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I prefer to give my business to the locally-owned gun stores. After you visit enough and they accept that you are actually interested in guns and hunting and not just a poseur, you can usually get better deals on trades/purchases and sometimes you hear some funny stories. Not only that, but it does me good to know my money is staying local. I had a great relationship with Down Under Guns before I left Fairbanks in '03, and I tried to start a new one with Chimo's when I moved to Wasilla in '07. I bought a 500 S&W and accessories, a pistol for the wife, ammo, etc, etc. The prices were a bit higher than I could find at Wallyworld or Sportsman's, but they were local so I didn't mind. While I was deployed this last trip to Iraq, my wife ordered a rifle for me (she's thoughtful like that ) and had Chimo's do the transfer. They charged her $75!

If I ever step foot into their store again, it will be to tell them they've forever lost my business by taking advantage of someone who didn't know better. I believe a combination of decent customer service with fair prices will always pay dividends in the long-run. This apparent price-gouging just reaffirms for me that Chimo's has chosen to go a different route, to the detriment of all gun enthusiasts
    Rick Ellis @ Ak Guns “N" Stuff (same place as Warm & Fuzzy Fur Company) on Palmer/Wasilla Highway across from Fort Green is $10 flat on all transfers he does! Great guy and he gets all my gun business now, his number is 376-6703.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Seriously, Is any one supprised that something would be over priced at Chimo's? I have looked there several times, but I have never purchased anything there. Their prices have always seemed high to me.

I know this is a little off the direction this thread was going, but I think you're going to see ammo prices continue to rise. I just read where a business in Georgia used to buy the once fired 223 brass from the Department of Defense. They would clean up the brass, reload it and sell it for very reasonable prices, especially to law enforcement. They just received a letter from DOD telling them they would no longer be able to buy the brass because the DOD was going to shred the brass and sell it as scrap metal to China - for much cheaper than the Georgia business was paying. I'm afraid this is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    I know this is a little off the direction this thread was going, but I think you're going to see ammo prices continue to rise. I just read where a business in Georgia used to buy the once fired 223 brass from the Department of Defense. They would clean up the brass, reload it and sell it for very reasonable prices, especially to law enforcement. They just received a letter from DOD telling them they would no longer be able to buy the brass because the DOD was going to shred the brass and sell it as scrap metal to China - for much cheaper than the Georgia business was paying. I'm afraid this is just the beginning.
    That order only lasted about 4 days before it was reversed. That company you are talking about has their brass and is happily loading ammo.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLeadBullets View Post

Sounds like a rip-off to me. But it gets worse: I read the other day where a guy went into a gunshop back in the south-48 somewhere, and they wanted $99 for a brick, take it or leave it.

Marshall/Ak

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That order only lasted about 4 days before it was reversed. That company you are talking about has their brass and is happily loading ammo.
    I didn't hear that yet, but I'm glad it was reversed. I guess some of our emails made it to the right people.

Default GA Arms

Here's a news blip I was sent from another member of GON (Georgia Outdoor News). The vendor you speak of is GA Arms in Villa Rica, GA.

March 18, 2009
    Surplus U.S. Military Brass Remains Available — Mutilation Orders Reversed
    Filed under: Bullets, Brass, Ammo, News — Tags: Brass, DEMIL, DOD, Surplus — Editor @ 10 am
    Over the past few days, there has been a storm of controversy surrounding sales of surplus U.S. military cartridge brass. The concern arose because DOD Surplus, LLC had announced to wholesale brass purchasers that future shipments of spent cartridge cases would have to be “mutilated” and sold as scrap metal. (DOD Surplus, LLC sells surplus brass under a contract with the Department of Defense.)

Shooters nationwide, fearing that surplus U.S. military brass would no longer be available, protested loudly to members of Congress and Department of Defense officials.

We are pleased to report that the “mutilation” requirement has been rescinded, and vendors such as Georgia Arms and GI Brass will continue to sell reloadable surplus cartridge cases obtained from the U.S. military.

How the Controversy Arose
    The Department of Defense (DOD), on behalf of all the branches of the military, collects fired shell cases. Rather than sell surplus brass directly, the DOD has disposal contracts with DOD Surplus, LLC and Government Liquidation, LLC, two private companies. These companies aggregate and sell the brass in bulk to wholesalers, primarily through online auctions.

DOD Surplus, LLC had notified Georgia Arms that future lots of surplus brass would be subject to a NEW multilation requirement, effectively rendering the brass useless for reloading.

Where did that “mutilation” requirement come from? Was this some evil, new directive from the White House? Apparently not. Here’s what happened. Surplus brass has been handled under a “DEMIL B” product category. Prior to 11/2008, DEMIL B items required no mutilation for sale to the public. That policy changed last November, but several exemptions (waivers) were granted. Expended munitions brass was covered by a waiver.

After the new administration took office, some new manager, probably in the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), eliminated ALL exemptions for DEMIL B products. Why this was done, we don’t really know. It appears no consideration was given to the impact on the shooting industry. But this elimination of the DEMIL B brass waiver was communicated to DOD Surplus, LLC last week. DOD Surplus, LLC, in turn, told its purchasers that milsurp brass would have to be mutilated (rendered unusable) from here on out.

Surplus Brass Now Re-Classified DEMIL Q, so No Mutilation Required
    Yesterday, March 17, at 5:15 pm a letter cosigned by Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Baucus (D-MT) was faxed to the Department of Defense asking DOD to reverse its new policy requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass. That joint letter, combined with thousands of email messages sent to Washington, convinced the DOD to reverse the recent change in surplus brass policy.

At 5:30 PM on the 17th, the DOD faxed Senator Tester’s office announcing that the policy requiring multilation of surplus brass had been rescinded. Specifically, surplus military cartridge brass has been reclassified as a “DEMIL Q” product (not “DEMIL B” as before). DEMIL Q requires no product mutilation unless the item is sold to a foreign country.

BOTTOM LINE: Stocks of U.S. Military surplus cartridge brass will continue to be offered for sale, via wholesalers, to the general public. Problem solved. As announced by Georgia Arms: “DOD Surplus, LLC, has rescinded its prior directive that ALL small arms spent casings be mutilated rather than recycled. This was a huge victory for common sense and we would like to thank each and every person who made an effort and played a role in correcting this mistake.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BG

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    I didn't hear that yet, but I'm glad it was reversed. I guess some of our emails made it to the right people.
    Yup, gun folks were all over that and so were the hundreds of police departments that buy their rifle ammo from Georgia Arms when their ammo orders were cancled!

Join the GOA (Gun Owners of America) and they will keep you informed just about up to the hour on this kind of stuff. I have been an NRA life member for over 20 years and think they do an all right job for us gun folk, but the GOA is much more active and helps members stay up on things much better. They send out “action alerts” about this stuff and have a system that allows members to quickly respond if we think we need to address the issue. I joined GOA for a year to check them out and a month in went to life member, just the "action center" is well worth the member fee in my view!

http://gunowners.org/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast