Thread: 14C bear hunting??

Default 14C bear hunting??

Have you ever went to the lower 48 and come across a quadruple level bridge system on the freeway and you think to your self…I wonder how drunk that engineer was when he drew up the blue prints for this cluster fudge. That’s kind of the way I feel about unit 14C. Its like looking at the map of the bridge system and going ok this makes sense but when you’re on it you second guess your self. This is my problem/curiosity. Lets talk about black bear hunting seeing how that’s what’s in season right now. I can hunt Eklutna with my bow…makes sense you don’t want to shoot the people out hiking around. I can’t hunt Elmendorf or Ft. Rich., because it’s a military base or whatever the reason is. That’s cool but how do they manage the bear population?? Oh yeah they find a “nuisances” bear that keeps eating out of a dumpster or hanging out in housing shoot it with pepper balls make it really mad and let it run off. Then when it comes back they kill it! “They might do a little more but that’s the gist of it” come on… make a list of people that want to kill the nuisance bears and let someone shoot it with a bow and keep it. Moving on… Anchorage, Birchwood and what not don’t want people getting shot or finding a dead bear in there yard. Remainder of 14C you either have to fly in, take a boat, know someone that owns the land off Knik road hunt Girdwood or be a god and hike over mountain after mountain to get to most of it. Eagle River which most of it is in Chugach State Park, they break it down to upper and lower. Lower with a bow because there is houses and people around. Like Eklutna, I’m cool with that and don’t want to see anyone got shot. Upper Eagle River is in the middle of nowhere so people can use a gun by permit. “Hiked it once and next time I’ll camp and come back the next day” Now this is my question, if everything is broken down like that but there is a season to hunt Chugach State Park Management Area “which surrounds all the areas listed above” why is there areas like upper Eagle River? Now looking at the map of the Chugach Management Area on fish and game web sight, it dos not specify a certain weapon so I could use a gun? Than you read the reg book and on page 69 “the map” it states that it’s open to bear, moose…..and so on by permit only. The map on the web sight does not say anything about a permit and on page 70 it just tells you “one bear from Sept 2 to May 31”. ***.. If I walked in to Chugach M.A. with my gun do I need a permit? If I kill something with out a permit did I do something illegal? Am I even allowed to hunt that area? I’m not “new” to the state and I try and cover my butt by reading as much as I can about the rules so I don’t do anything wrong but this just does not make sense to me. I asked Fish and Game one day when I was in there and they just looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Can anyone give a little insight and help clear this up for me???

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    Can anyone give a little insight and help clear this up for me???
    YES, But I don't think that is what you want. You don't really want to understand the history of how it has all evolved step by step over the last 40 years. I think you are happy being righteous and indignant about it. If it is that important to you for a fee I'll explain it to you.

No permit needed for Chugach M.A Black Bear. Need a registration permit for Eagle River Black Bear, which is different for upper and lower. No permit needed for Eklutna bow only or "Remainder of 14c Area" Black Bear. Strap on your pack and go find a bear, you'll feel better whether you kill one or not, good luck.

Default thank you

Thank you whitepalm…. Hopeak I would never pay anyone to tell me 40 years of history. That’s why I didn’t like school and I hate college right now. I just don’t understand why things contradict them selves. I reading everything I posted from Fish and Game books and maps and I would have assumed I could hunt with out a permit in CMA. When I looked at the map on the Fish and Game web sight it talked about a permit thats what was throwing me off. I understand things change all the time but what I don’t understand is if they want to make the regs easy for people to understand than why have one thing say something and another say something else? I didn’t know till this year when I started reading this forum that they hade the BOG thing open to the public. When I found out it was too late and I was not able to go. I will be there next time so I can hear what goes on and maybe even voice my thoughts. I doughty it would even mean anything seeing how I am not a well known person in the state and not apart of any “good old boy clubs

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    and not apart of any “good old boy clubs
    No worries there is still time to join! You would be surprised what you can get accomplished by getting involved!