Thread: Alaskan Preference/Bonus Points

Default Alaskan Preference/Bonus Points

Was reading one of my hunting magazines and it stated that Alaska was going to a preference/bonus point system. Just wanted to see if anybody else had read/heard the same thing recently. Dont want to start a thread on whether or not the pref/bonus points system is good or bad just wanting to know if anybody else has heard the same thing.

Default As far as I know...

...the only "points" system we have starting this year is the Tier I caribou for the Nelchina area. You get a point for each year you enter. Permits are given to those with the most points and with a lottery between the people at the level of points where there are not enough permits to go around. Once you win a permit, your score (and everyone in your household) goes to zero.

I am not aware of any other point systems in place in Alaska, but there may be some out there.

Yes a bonus system was put into place. I believe it was mainly for Bison and TMA and DCUA sheep permits but I could be wrong.

It was discussed at length in this thread

They're working on the details now, it was just put into motion at the Board Of Game meetings this Spring.

Yes, bison. This is basically a trial run, with the hope that eventually most or all draw hunts will have a bonus point system in place.

Default hope?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska viking View Post
    Yes, bison. This is basically a trial run, with the hope that eventually most or all draw hunts will have a bonus point system in place.
    Well, in my opinion, "hope" would be a highly overzealous word to use for it. I