Thread: Chena Flush

Default Chena Flush

WOW! The Chena flushed itself again this afternoon. Yesterday the river shot up 3 to 4 feet at my place. Lots of ice and wood came down. Today the flush was even more intense. It was wall to wall ice and logs.
    We watched all sorts of man made stuff floating away. Then a friend called. Their dock got ripped away. We jumped into the skiff, and headed out. Who was that said something about tough and stupid? And worse, my buddy, mr. conservative, jumped in the skiff with me. Yep, Dumb and Dumber heading out on a rescue 911 mission.
    We spotted the dock on the east/south bank jammed up in boat crushing ice. I figured as big as it all was I'd be able to skip on top. We did. Finally caught the darn thing right above Susan Butcher's place and tied it off just as the owner called. Told him I had a problem. I was standing on his dock, with no beer, stuck in an eddy with nowhere to go.
    We did try to beat our way back up stream, but huh uh. Not happening. So we got back to the eddy at Monson's/Butcher's and walked out after calling for a ride.
    I have lived in this house on the river for 10 years and have never seen a break up this dynamic here. A friend at Perkins Landing called. He had chunks of ice big as his house trying to crawl up the bank. He said truck size pieces made it. That should make some good photos.
    The river is about a foot under the bank at my house. Pretty high for this time of year. I am revising my earlier comment about not running the Tanana until May 12. I am guessing that I can run all the way to Nenana by May 9.
    Sure were a lot of drums, barrels, docks, stairs, balls, and debris heading down. Should make for some good scrounging later.

Default sound like fun

I love going out in the floods and doing what I can to help. I was at a buddys cabin on the chena tonight geting his generator and wheelers out of the high water. I like being the first in and the last out of the river every year. Last year I was boating into october.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

ak river rat, any chance you could post those pics? I know folks who'd like to see them.

I couldnt believe how high it was today. When I came by Birchwood Bridge on base I swear I dont think my boat would have made it under there.But the river sure looked clean to me, saw no ice or debris....

Default today is different

The water dropped at least 8" overnight. The river is running much cleaner now. Much less debris and ice. I went down and got the skiff and ran out on the Tanana.
    There is lots of ice still on the sandbars. High water there will release that ice, so be careful if you head down river during rising water. Otherwise down to just above Chena Pump Campground it looked real good.
    I could have pushed the skiff across ice just to be first in, but I let others have that glory. I did pretty well shut the river down last fall. For a week I was going out just as the Tanana froze up. I won't say I was the last, but there weren't many more, and I never saw anybody come by the house as the Chena started shutting down just as I got the skiff out of the water.
    For you guys heading downriver early, make sure you file a trip report with friends or Troopers. Check your gear before you go, double check your fuel, and keep a good eye out.
    If anybody finds any black dock floats downriver, I sure would appreciate a heads up. The guy that lost them is a good friend. Would like to get them back to him if possible.

Pretty good YouTube video of the flush here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYzAHiaR4o