Thread: boat winches

Default boat winches

what are sum idea from you guys. Do i mount on in my boat like a fourwheeler winch or buy a potable one.. Just wondering what you guys think thanks Mike

I would weld a receiver up front and have a portable one. Probably don't need an 8k though. What about the chainsaw motor winches... any power to them?

Default rope along

I like the rope pullers. I pack a rope along. If I was to get a powered winch it would be a capstan.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Capstan

Get a capstan with a few hundred feet of good quality low stretch kern-mantle rope. I use rescue rope like you use for fire or confined space extractions. It has plenty of working strength, is low stretch, and is fairly inexpensive if you shop around. If money is no object that blue rope by Amsteel would be the ticket.

If you do a search there are lots of great discussions of winches and boat recovery methods. I just got a new boat and read through the old posts and learned ton's of good info. Well worth the time. For me I picked up a chainsaw winch that I got a great deal on. Good luck. akraven

Between capstain and warn truck winches we have 2 different animals. From the looks of your boat on your avatar that is what I was going off of. I figured the winch would be used for bar removal or pulling across land. If you want an anchor puller what type of boat, anchor, weight, chain???

Yes it is the boat in my avatar. When they builkd the boat they rann all the power and control wires. But there is no mount if the front . These is a place up front to weld on in. Just haven't decided which way to go. Which is the best anchor to winch off of.

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    Between capstain and warn truck winches we have 2 different animals. From the looks of your boat on your avatar that is what I was going off of. I figured the winch would be used for bar removal or pulling across land. If you want an anchor puller what type of boat, anchor, weight, chain???

How does the capstan work in the mud and when the rope is wet? And who sells them in anchorage. Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    Get a capstan with a few hundred feet of good quality low stretch kern-mantle rope. I use rescue rope like you use for fire or confined space extractions. It has plenty of working strength, is low stretch, and is fairly inexpensive if you shop around. If money is no object that blue rope by Amsteel would be the ticket.

Default Jackovich

Jackovich carries a 2 stroke and 4 stroke model of the capstan winch. I have a warn 4000lb on my boat. The problem is it's permanently mounted so it tends to get rusted up and has to be pulled apart and cleaned quite often.

I went through this debate myself over the winter, after putting my new boat high and dry a couple times.

Advantage to electric winch: pull rating (you have a wide variety of ratings to chose from to fit what ever need you have).

Advantage to Chainsaw winch: Versatility! You don't allways want to be winched forward after going high and dry. These can go with you on the boat, ATV, hunting (to hang game), and what ever else you can think of.

There are three main types of Chainsaw winches: Echo makes a purpose built chainsaw winch (it is the whole thing not an attachment, winch and motor in one), the other two are attachments that you put on to your own chainsaw (traditional drum style and the capstan style)

I ended up buying the Echo chainsaw winch and removing the 75' of wire rope and replacing it with 150' of winch rope and a good pulley for doubling the pull strength when needed, this was the best compromise for cost and versatility. I like how compact this set up is compared to the other one, makes it easier to stow on the boat. If cost was not a factor I would have looked at the capstan winch+new chainsaw+300' of winch rope a little harder.

Google chainsaw winch and a lot of info should come up. Let us know which one you go with and how you like it.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Forgot to say AIH has the ECHO chainsaw winch, so you can go look at it if it does interests you. Most of the others you have to order online
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Last time I checked Jackovitch they had stopped carying the captsan chainsaw winch. They only carry a wire rope winch. This was the valley store. Call before going down.
    akraven

I have a Lewis Chainsaw winch. I've used it to pull a moose out of the river, the boat off gravel bars, and a Ford pick-up that was up to his axles in mud.He was dead,so we had to two-part the line.
    I NEVER leave the landing without it.

Rod's saw shop in Fairbanks sells them.

Default Just Fine

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    How does the capstan work in the mud and when the rope is wet? And who sells them in anchorage. Thanks Mike
    I use it for pulling trees it get wet and muddy all the time. The big deciding factors for me were two things:

1) the comparison of the the WORKING strength between 3/16 aircraft grade wire rope (which I believe is what the Lewis comes with) and 1/2" kern-mantle. 3/16 aircraft wire rope has a breaking strength of 3700# or at 5:1 a 740# working strength. 1/2" kern-mantle is 9600# at 5:1 gives you a 1920# working load. Now you can load the winch drum with heavier wire rope or Amsteel BlueLine. But there are pros and cons to that is well.

2) I have to pull things more than 100 to 200 feet a lot of times. So only being able to afford one winch I went with the capstan. One of the big cons to the capstan is that your rope is separate from your winch. So storage is an issue. Another con if the rope gets frozen you have to work it until it is flexible to get it wrapped on the capstan drum. But it will still do the job.

Later