Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveway security gate

Default Driveway security gate

Anyone got plans or ideas. Want to secure my driveway without advertising to the crooks.

How about a good dog and those wireless fences?

George

Ha Ha - have two dogs and no wireless fence. But we are not there all the time so the dogs might get pretty hungry.

Seriously, the cabin is located in the valley and is road/snowmachine accessible. And there have been break-ins at other cabins close by. The cabin is nothing special and we don't keep anything there, but repairing windows gets expensive. The current gate is a pos, so was just looking to build something more secure without making it look like fort Knox (like we had something to protect) thus making it even more of a draw to the scumbags that don't seem to understand the whole "it don't belong to me" theory.

Bollards of drill casing and 3/8" chain seemss to be pretty standard. The key is making it just enough of a PITA to keep them away, but not so much as to pose a challenge to the cretins.

Too bad you can't use claymores.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Bollards of drill casing and 3/8" chain seemss to be pretty standard. The key is making it just enough of a PITA to keep them away, but not so much as to pose a challenge to the cretins.

Too bad you can't use claymores.
    I did that and they swiped my chain . . . twice!
    So I went to a 2X4 barricade like a 10 foot wide saw horse and that did as good as anything.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default a cable gate

I used a couple trees in a line as my posts and attached to each a piece of cable with cable clamped loops on the ends, then attached a small chain binder to one welding the hook shut. I made them loose enough to hook the looped cable to binder, then it tightens everything up upon latching the binder. I drilled and tapped a couple #10 holes on the binder to attatch a piece of sheetmetal that wire ties a no trespassing sign to it. Now I am not saying its a solid security gate but so far has been good enough to keep people out. I can even lock it with a small long shanked master lock.
    And if the above fails get one of these
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-21-2010 at 12:04.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Is there power on the lot at all times? If you have internet there it is pretty easy to set up a remote recorded security system. New egg and Tiger direct have 4 camera turn key setups that will cover you pretty well. To get more complex there are systems out there that use motion sensors and will email you pics of anything moving in your yard. At least if someone does mess w/ your place you have a decent shot at justice!

I have to leave my place unattended and although I live "out of town" ,I am in an urban situation . I was wondering about these trail camera ya put on the game trails to snap pics of the furry things might have an application. I guess you would have a picture of the Zombies that took yer stuff Oh Well

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    I have to leave my place unattended and although I live "out of town" ,I am in an urban situation . I was wondering about these trail camera ya put on the game trails to snap pics of the furry things might have an application. I guess you would have a picture of the Zombies that took yer stuff Oh Well
    Be easy to steal the trail camera. Or just shoot it.

Talking Best I have found...

I would have 2 concrete anchors one on each side of the driveway with a 3/4" j bolt anchored in it drilled to accept a lock.A spike plate anchored on each side.Make it away from the entrance gate they just cut so they would be in the vehicle and not see it till they sat there with 4 flats.3" x 16'x3/16ths would work.Have your welder friend use some "Hot" concrete nails, and touch them up with a file or grinder.A few of last years leaves would cover it well.The local tire shop could then tell you who your visitor was.GR

Rovingarcher has a good idea but I'd be afraid of some nut burning the cabin as a response to tire damage.

Truth is, if a thief wants in, he's coming in.

I like the security video idea. No flash like a trail came would give out and you have evidence to take to the cops. Turn one to get a vehicle plate when they come in.

what i did at my cabin was installed a cattle guard gate system with a steel post in holes on the gate for two steel post to come up out the guard gate that can be removed for a person to drive a car or a truck over the cattle gate ..
    we used a twist and lock typle set up to remove the 1.inch typle round metal poles on the guard unit .. there are spaced on the gate set up so a car or truck can not drive though the gate..
    the cattle guard gate is set back about 25.feet in the middle of the road going into the cabin road ..so this allow someone to turn there car around as need ..

None of which stops snow machines. Cables and chains covered with frost can't be seen and can and have killed children and adults.......

So if a snowmachine is driving on private property and hits a cable or chain, is that the homeowners fault?

Yes it's the property owners fault in theres noting to be seen thats why I have a no trespassing sign along with some ribbon hung on mine, I shut down the powerlines running through my yard. They try to argue and say it's easment, yes it is for the utilities
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yeah it is hard to defend this one with the liberal mindset of the country as well as lawyers. No one is willing to take personal responsibility.

If one is driving on a private driveway and blows a tire on a rock, is it the homeowners responsibility? Why is it any different if a snowmachine rider hits a cable or a fence closing off a private drive? The homeowner had no expectation that the snowmachine rider would be there; and the rider had the responsibility to know where he was riding.

We are not talking here about the guy who fences off, or cables off his driveway to prevent the riders from crossing perpendicular to it in the state drainage gulley easement. Instead we are (or were) discussing the entry way or driveway to private property. I doubt a property owner would be convicted for mounting a gate or chain across his entry way - especially in light of the crimes perpetrated by... you guessed it .... snowmobile operators.

It is great that you post no treaspassing signs. But are they lighted? What happens at night? Is it the homeowners responsibility to light the gate or chain? What if you DON'T have a gate or chain and a snowmachine operator gets onto your property and then gets hurt? What then? Is that your responsibility?

Give me a break. It is time we all band together and take this country back from those who would try to blame everyone but themselves for their stupidity or criminal behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverDriver View Post
    So if a snowmachine is driving on private property and hits a cable or chain, is that the homeowners fault?
    People have been held CRIMINALLY LIABLE, and Prosecuted. and their insurance company has paid off.

Well I doubt it is "Criminally" liable as it is not a crime, statute-wise, to fence off your private driveway on private property. And the ability to sue in "civil court" is changing. A simple driveway is no longer considered an "attractive nuisance" like a swimming pool might be. And even if it were, fencing, or chaining it off, could be argued as being a protective measure.

But thanks for the warning - I hope you are not advocating for those who want to sue to protect their lack of common sense or ability to discern private property from public riding lands.

What if the same snowmachine operator trespassed on my land an decided to use my outhouse and fell in - could I be liable? Should I have to post a sign above the crapper saying that any trespassers are taking a growler at their own risk?

I use cable in the summer, but take it down in the winter. Power lines are on private property, the utility has a Right Of Way, but that does not make it public property, Yet people run the power lines on ATVs and Snow Machines. This was how the kid got killed in Wasilla.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverDriver View Post
    Well I doubt it is "Criminally" liable as it is not a crime, statute-wise, to fence off your private driveway on private property. And the ability to sue in "civil court" is changing. A simple driveway is no longer considered an "attractive nuisance" like a swimming pool might be. And even if it were, fencing, or chaining it off, could be argued as being a protective measure.

But thanks for the warning - I hope you are not advocating for those who want to sue to protect their lack of common sense or ability to discern private property from public riding lands.

What if the same snowmachine operator trespassed on my land an decided to use my outhouse and fell in - could I be liable? Should I have to post a sign above the crapper saying that any trespassers are taking a growler at their own risk?

Power lines are typically on an easement which is a whole lot different from private property. But your point is taken. It is good to determine the real location of the road before placing a cable. But just to be argumentative, how do the power companies cope with the multitude of lawsuits they must get for the power pole cables that go to the ground supporting power poles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast