Thread: Dipsy Diver help needed

Default Dipsy Diver help needed

I am going to ge fishing Silvers in Homer in the salt this summer and plan on running 2 dipsy's along with our 2 down riggers. Do any of you run Dipsy's? I am thinking with Dipsy's i can cover more water and keep the lines away from the down riggers for less tangles. Any thoughts? Also do you use snubbers with your Dipsy rigs. I will be fishing with Power Pro braid for my main line and Mono leader. Any help would be appreciated!

Default I've tried..

To do that. It was a pain in the butt, to be honest with you. Just too much gear in the water, especially with the way coho's go nuts. Floating kelp and dipsys is also a nightmare.

I remain a fan of two downriggers, with one rod per downrigger, for ease and speed of operation. If you get a hot bite, you don't want to be wasting precious time trying to stack rods or untangle dipsys.

There will be 4 of us fishing so i thought rather than just 2 lines out on the riggers i would add 2 more with dipsy's. Wouldnt it be better to have 4 lines out? Thanks 270it i need all the help i can get!

We run two dipsy divers on 10-0 foot diver rods and two downriggers all the reels have p-line on them super tough stuff........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I'm sure some guys could make it work, but screwing with lots of gear drives me nuts. I like to be able to get my gear down to the desired depth quickly and be able to turn quickly if I run over some fish on the ff without a bite and I want to run by them again. I once went out fishing for kings on Lk Michigan, and the two guys I went with had 9 rods sticking out the back of that 16ft boat. Downriggers, planers, dipsys, those guys used them all! In my opinion, it was a nightmare whenever we hooked a fish!

One trick I learned is that if I have more than two guys fishing with me in my skiff, I'll have a few mooching rods rigged up with cut plugs up on the front of the skiff. If I run over a clatter of fish and hook up on one or both of my downriggers, the guys who don't have a rod will run up the the front and drop down a cut plug. Lots of fish caught that way and it's really fun.

I just fielded this same post over on iFish... won't re-post here, except to say that the size of boat one is fishing from makes a HUGE difference... with 11' of beam, the outboard riggers get a 22' spread, leaving plenty of room for 2 more riggers, then a couple of flatlines or divers way out the back. When the 'hos go nuts, the riggers get less and less use, and the divers or mooching rigs become the tool of choice.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    There will be 4 of us fishing so i thought rather than just 2 lines out on the riggers i would add 2 more with dipsy's. Wouldnt it be better to have 4 lines out? Thanks 270it i need all the help i can get!

I would feel naked without AT LEAST four lines out as a bare minimum.

If I've got enough bodies, six or seven is more like it!

If you make a habit out of running divers along with your downriggers, I would suggest these:

If you choose the diver option, these are the best money can buy.

http://www.oldsaltytackle.com/

Run your downriggers straight out the back, and run your divers on 10.5' salmon trolling rods straight out to the side. This will give you a formidable spread that will minimize tangles.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default its the simple things in life...

tie a banana weight to your main line attached to a wire leader followed by your flasher connected to a mooching rig with cut herring. no muss no fuss. fight the fish not the dipsy diver.

Thumbs up

I fish dipseys and down riggers alot for salmon! I catch more fish on the dipseys, because I think the boat can spook the fish out and off to the sides. I catch alot of Kings and Silvers this way! I don't use special rods or line. I rarely have a tangle problem fished from a boat with an 8 or 9 foot beam. Just make sure to turn the weight the right direction. Fishing the Great Lakes I can run about 20 lines without a problem! There is a big learning curve, but keep at it and its easy!

Default Something not seen much up here!

I agree that 2 side mounted d-riggers is enough gear, CLOSE TO THE BOAT. Back east, 30 years ago I fished strippers with 2 straight down, (riggers) then two out the back, WAY BACK!
    Here's what has worked for us. Get moving, Set the downriggers, then rig a couple poles with a bait rig, hootchie, plug or whatever. Come up about 6 feet and tie on a 6 oz bananna weight. Send how ever much down as you want, we like something in the 40 to 50 ft range when targeting Kings, tie on a kid's baloon that youve blown up to about 6 inch diameter and let this trail behind the boat as far as you like. We go for around 40 yards for good visibility. Stick this one in a holder and do your 2nd one. Relax and enjoy pulling the gear around. A fish on the riggers does not affect the baloon rigs in any way just like a fish on the baloon rig can be landed with out getting into the d-riggers. Once you get the baloon to the rod tip just keep cranking as the line will slip thru the knot once you get the tightness thing down. Also, by the time you get to the baloon, the fish is generally spent which is an aid to keeping them out of the side mounted d-riggers!
    Well, that's all the secrets you get for one day.
    Mike

Default D.D

I don't find running dipsys to be an issue. I fish the great lakes for salmon out of a 17 foot Lund and I have never had an issue with gear getting tangled (Minus the couple times in the dark when I put the diver on the wrong side...). Of course if you are fishing silvers and they are just pounding there is no use. But for kings they are a great addition to any spread.